Mystery object

revbobuk

Looking at the pins could be a specialized tool for removing large diameter threaded bungs/caps, we have a similar custom tool for removing a bung that fits inside the side of a machine (about 2" thread) & pins locate to rotate it out, although the centre pin on yours looks it may be for a cap rather than a bung. Hope you understand my description.

I seem to remember a tool like this being sold with Wolf DIY electric drills, to remove the centre securing nut on the sanding disc attachment - just had a hunt round and found an almost identical one in an old toolbox - (my father's!)

The pinned end looks like a bespoke tool for threaded pipe end-caps with the spanner end for threaded pipe-end plugs. The slot in the bottom appears to be where an extension bar fits for leverage. (I think andi is saying the same in different words)

Lots of things like this were made as part of steam engine toolkits or marine engine tools and often date back to Victorian engineering days, but that is just a guess. Could be for lathes and machine tools just as well.

Cross post and yes, Dai is close as the third pin would locate the boss securing discs to spindles.

That is a point ref "UXB" kit. Is the tool of ferrous metal, as in you would not want something magnetic when removing a fuse or detonator perhaps?

Equally, a non ferrous metal might indicate a strong desire on the part of the user to complete the job satisfactorily when servicing gas kit, as in "spark free".

Archived