C.V.

alistairhammond

Quick thought - you say this is for casual / low paid work?

I entered the industry with just a keen interest behind me, my CV was engineering based. Yet since November I am now working as a casual at the local theatre and freelancing for a couple of companies in the area. No-one as yet has asked to see a CV.

A CV can be useful, far better in my opinion is a face to face chat to the right people, volunteering to do a few shifts for free and getting a good reputation. Willing hands are ten a penny, good help is a little harder to come by. Have you got a local theatre you can talk to? Ask to see the Tech manager for a few minutes (if you cant make a brew meet them in the cafe and buy them one!) for a chat. Be realistic and polite, as a casual you'll probably be followspotting and coiling cable more than programming!

As for your CV? Unfortunately I can't view it on my iPad so can't comment, but you must customise it every time you send it in to a different company. Pointless labouring a point that you can program an Avo desk if they use ETC for example? Do your research and make your CV relevant to them. (Making sure you're still telling the truth of course!)

Good luck with your search!

What do people think about adding a picture to a CV? I've heard that it can be good, as it makes employers treat your CV with a bit more...respect? Rather than just being a body of words on a page.

People will be less inclined to throw someones face into a bin...although... ;)

I dunno, what do employers think?

Do your research and make your CV relevant to them.

Definitely handy. I have three different versions of my CV dependent on which job I was applying for that tailors it to each facet of what I'm interested in and then you can tweak from there.

People will be less inclined to throw someones face into a bin...although... ;)

It's fun to doodle on I imagine? Silly moustaches, hats etc... Things to definitely not put in your CV "I am a good looking ...". That's just odd!

Updated once again. It's now had the layout tweaked to make it easier to read and spot each section. I've added a 'key skills' and a 'Training' section. Are they OK or do they look like too padded-out, like I've put stuff in to fill the gaps? I also added the only two school qualifications I have - these were ones taken early, I won't get my GCSE results back until August.

Unfortunately I can't view it on my iPad

- Why not? Is it because of Dropbox?

Do take the time to download your CV onto different computers and ideally with different OS (TeeJay)

Like he said - is Dropbox a problem for iOS hardware? If so, is there a better way of making it available?

Like he said - is Dropbox a problem for iOS hardware? If so, is there a better way of making it available?

Nope. I have the DropBox app on my iPhone and that works fine. I haven't got the app on my iPod but I can still download your attachment. I use DropBox for all manner of stuff (including hosting my CV - see the link below) and I have never had a complaint that it doesn't open; and I have opened it on OSX, Windows and iOS myself.

1340114442[/url]' post='443763']
1340103015[/url]' post='443751']

Nope. I have the DropBox app on my iPhone and that works fine. I haven't got the app on my iPod but I can still download your attachment. I use DropBox for all manner of stuff (including hosting my CV - see the link below) and I have never had a complaint that it doesn't open; and I have opened it on OSX, Windows and iOS myself.

Might just be me then - clicking on the link starts the download but as it nears the end Safari quits and when I open it up again I'm back in Blue Room?

Pictures on CV's isn't considered best practice (at least that's what I've been told by HR professionals - what do they know?) and could be seen as padding out a 2 page CV. If you want to put one on anyway treat it like the rest of your CV and take a professional approach. A quick low resolution camera phone pic could undo all the hard work you've put into the words, and considering it's going to be the first thing anyone sees, it's worth taking some care!

Might just be me then - clicking on the link starts the download but as it nears the end Safari quits and when I open it up again I'm back in Blue Room?

Do you have flash/java enabled in Safari? The file normally opens in an online pdf viewer on the Dropbox website, it shouldn't try and download the file.

Erratic use of full stops in first section. What does /s mean after equipment? Lift and move in twice. How many clients have you had? What does basic knowledge mean? Computer literacy would be taken as a given for someone your age these days. 'This talented young singer' ????:rolleyes:

My No.1 hate phrase is "from an early age" - usually followed by stuff that is a bit meaningless.

The age thing is tricky - but if you apply for a job in Northern Ireland, you always get asked your religion. Apparently to make sure you are not discriminated against and to ensure a balanced workforce - but it's always two choices - Catholic or Protestant, and I've discovered many young people are not even aware what a protestant is? My own son said he was Church of England, so which one was this? I advised him that maybe the 'neither' box was the correct one for him, despite being from a CoE family. The other thing nowadays is when the ask about ethnicity - they don't ask what you are, they ask you what you consider yourself to be!

My No.1 hate phrase is "from an early age" - usually followed by stuff that is a bit meaningless.

I'd say "since childhood" is pretty bad also, as most people within this industry have had an interest since then!

but if you apply for a job in Northern Ireland, you always get asked your religion. Apparently to make sure you are not discriminated against and to ensure a balanced workforce - but it's always two choices - Catholic or Protestant

reminds me of the old story ,when asked for my religion I replyed Sikh,they then asked is that a catholic Sikh or Protestant Sikh

What do people think about adding a picture to a CV?

I'd say not to. They rob you of the opportunity to make a first impression at interview, as the interviewer has already received one from the photograph!

Archived