C.V.

alistairhammond

I have recently started putting together a draft CV for applications for casual/low paid work. If any of any of you have the time, would you please take a look at the linked draft and give me your opinions on it. Thank you for your time.

Draft CV - This is a link to a Dropbox file. Please let me know if it doesn't work, I'm still getting the hang of it.

The first thing that jumped out at me is that there is no date of birth! And as for layout, my personal preference is that most things are aligned to the left and not to have columns of information as in your contact info and 'Other qualifications and interests', but I reiterate, personal opinion. Every employer has different preferences to what a CV should look like. There are many guides to CV writing like this one. By all means check out mine, details below.

Tom.

Date of Birth is tricky. It's never in job applications any longer and employers cannot ask you how old you are. They obviously get a good idea from your job history and qualifications, but age is a tricky one now. If you want to tell people, fine - but some, especially councils seem scared to death of the magic word age. They won't ask it and don't like seeing it on the applicants CV. Stupid of course - but that's the way some operate now.

I'd reckon it would be at least nice to say "I'm over 18" for some kind of work? I didnt do primary/secondary school, so no idea what age 5 years in secondary school actually links to. Is that the full amount?

Read the thing through in one go. Check to see how many times you say "a number of .... including". A thesaurus may be your friend.

As tom mentioned, the two column thing is a bit... odd. Bulletpoints!

Well the date of birth is a funny one in this scenario because the CV writer appears to be only 16. I know the law says you can't ask and you don't have to tell, but surely there is some kind of method of preventing 16 year olds applying for positions that, if only by insurance policy, are only available to >18s?

I'd also avoid the phrase "a number of". Over the course of my life, I've had a number of hot dinners. I've also won money on the lottery a number of times. See where we're getting? "A number" could be anything, but 9 times out of 10 it's perceived to mean "a disappointingly small number that I'd like to dress up as a bigger one".

I know the law says you can't ask and you don't have to tell, but surely there is some kind of method of preventing 16 year olds applying for positions that, if only by insurance policy, are only available to >18s?

The law does allow you to ask a person's age if it is relevant.

What is a legitimate aim?

A legitimate aim might include:

• economic factors such as business needs and efficiency

• the health, welfare and safety of the individual (including protection

of young people or older workers)

• the particular training requirements of the job.

As long as you are objective in setting out your reasons to ask, and are confident that your reason's will stand up in court if tested, then having a DOB field is quite acceptable.

Online version has been updated, thanks to everyone for your comments. As pointed out by a number of you, I have added a DOB field to make it clear that I am under 18, and thus limited by the Children's Act, etc. Brainwave-generator, I've stripped out all the 'number ofs' and tried to be more specific in what I've written. Tommulliner, The bullet points could possibly make it clearer, but if I do that It'll probably spill out on a second page.

Do you think it's worth having a seperate 'key skills' list, e.g. programming Zero88 Frogs+Jesters, working safely on ladders and scaffolding, knowledge of basic electronics and electrical formulae.Also, is it worth putting a footnote saying: 'Warning - Cannot make tea!', or is that just unprofessional?

Also, is it worth putting a footnote saying: 'Warning - Cannot make tea!', or is that just unprofessional?

I suspect that learning to make a good cuppa will get you further in this business than a lot of the other details on your CV... Many people may interpret "Cannot" as "don't want to" which isn't really the kind of attitude you want to put across.

I've always wanted to put 'makes a bl00dy good cuppa' at the bottom of mine... http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif but a) some people might not find that very funny (and it might make me look a bit of an idiot), and b) that's not always true.. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Oh, and I would definatley put in a section about Key Skills - I was chatting to someone recently, and they said that you NEED to 'show off' what you can do - no one else is going to do it for you. For example, many companies use Avo desks only, and if they know that you know your way around a Pearl, then it's going to go down better. In my opinion anyway http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

"Cannot make tea" is just saying "is completely inept at the most simple of tasks and should not be employed". Seriously, how can you not make tea?!

Have a search on here, I'm sure there's been a thread somewhere about how to make a cup of tea. cup > bag > water > milk, and some people will be all weird and claim that milk should go first etc... It's a kettle of fish worth keeping closed ;-)

We were advised by human resources that whilst we cannot ask age, we are allowed to phrase questions as follows:

"We work in a number of venues which require all back-of-house staff - including AV technicians to be over 18 due to liquor and gambling regulations - would this be an issue for you?" - another is to ask questions like "How many years have you held XYZ qualification" (for example a riggers ticket - since you cannot get a riggers ticket until you are 18 in Australia), you can then work out the minimum age. You can phrase the same sort of question around drivers license - in Australia you are on a probationary license now for between 2 and 4 years (depending on the state) after your driving test at 18 - "This job will require you to drive company vehicles occasionally - do you have a full, valid license or are you the subject to any restrictions - such as a probationary license or special conditions?"

For every restriction there is a way to feel around the edges.

And proving discrimination is VERY difficult in employing people - after all, the employer is only required to say that they found someone that they think is a better fit for the position. Prove them wrong.

As to the CV. Less "I"'s. The personal details - the interesting tid-bits - they are for the cover letter - the CV is facts - I was here, I did this. My strengths are this that and the other, my training is in X, Y and Z

For example, one of your sections I may have presented as follows - I tried to do it without editing TOO much.

Colbury and Ashurst Theatrical Society (2010-)

Worked in a variety of roles, including stage crew and lighting operator. Shows included:

- The Wizard of Oz (January 2012) – Lighting Technician. Assisted on Get-in and -out, Lighting Operator for 7 of the 8 shows.

- Children of Killers (March 2011) – Lighting Technician. This show was an entry into the National Theatre 'Connections' competition. Performed at the Minerva Theatre in Chichester.

Work Experience - Whitwam Ltd (July 2011)

Live event production, lighting, sound and AV system installation. Tasks and training included filming, audiovisual design, PAT testing and projector maintenance.

Another bit which reads strangely:

I successfully applied to be a prefect, a position which requires a responsible and mature attitude.

Successfully applied in no way indicates that you were successful in your application, but rather that your application was accepted as a valid application - I would also be surprised if any employer did not understand what it took to be a prefect. Keep it simple.

Education

2007-2012: Hounsdown Secondary School

- 20xx-20xx: Prefect

I would then use the "Prefect" as an inroad to listing peer leadership as a skill - one of those intangible skills that managers look for.

Personally speaking, I find that the C.V. is very blocky, there’s nothing that if I was to look at it very quickly as most employers may do, stands out of the page and says READ ME. It really looks as if you’ve tried really hard to fit it onto one bit of paper. My C.V spans over two pages, with the important stuff on the first page, and on the second a selection of previous work that I’ve undertaken, I’ll upload a copy of mine at some point for you to look through, or I’ll send you a link to my website.

I’m very much a fan of formatting, colours, different sized text, tables and such. It needs to be easy on the eye, I felt that for the 30 seconds I looked at it, I didn’t really know where to look!

On a positive note, Kayaking? A man after my own heart! :D

Lots of the replies above give you the information you need in terms of content.

However, don't forget to label your CV appropriately.

If I'm going through any CVs I like the file to be called firstname_lastname_CV_date (or a similar variation). I can then see at a glance pertinent detail. I do not want to see endless repetitions of CV[3].doc - it's an instant black mark. As an employer, I want to find your CV quickly and as a potential worker, I want my name to be clearly in the head of my potential employer.

Talking of formats, I like to see doc or pdf. Note, not docx. That tells me you have an awareness of how to use a file management system on a modern operating system, which along with your layout, tells me loads about your experience level with IT. It also tells me that you allow for larger organisations to not be keeping up with non-essentail technical developments

I do like to see a variety of formatting (see previous line)but I'm not overly concerned with colours and certainly no fancy fonts and I won't be too disappointed if there isn't much formatting as long as the layout is clear.

Smilies and emoticons are out, as is txt sp34k.

Do take the time to download your CV onto different computers and ideally with different OS. A recent pdf I received had managed to colour all the text white - against a white background. Only the use of coloured titles told me that something was amiss but that applicant did not get much further.

And one little bete noire - please don't include an email like 'sparkly-lx-tech@homeISP.notwebmail.com'

Quick quiz, what are the errors in that last sentence?

R U 4 Real? :** laughs out loud **: But seriously, since when has it ever been acceptable to use text speak when applying for a job? I couldn't imagine anything worse!

R U 4 Real? :** laughs out loud **: But seriously, since when has it ever been acceptable to use text speak when applying for a job? I couldn't imagine anything worse!

and yet people do...

Archived