Can my T Bar support this light?

smr

Hi all,

Thinking about getting a Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150 and was wondering if I'd be able to hang it off my T Bar... it's just a bog standard T bar which says it has max load of 30kg but I'm concerened that even though the 150 is 4.2 kg the amount of torque it would be throwing around would make it unsafe to have hanging off my t bar.

Cheers.

Joel

SWL, in this case as you've twigged, is all about a static load acting directly downwards.

What's your T-Bar mounted on?

You might be able to weight the stand down with some sand bags to increase stability.

Hi all,

Thinking about getting a Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150 and was wondering if I'd be able to hang it off my T Bar... it's just a bog standard T bar which says it has max load of 30kg but I'm concerened that even though the 150 is 4.2 kg the amount of torque it would be throwing around would make it unsafe to have hanging off my t bar.

Cheers.

Joel

Well, it won't 'throw' around much torque because the weight is mostly in the base. How far will the unit be from the centre support of the t-bar? Do you stabilise your t-bar with weights or sandbags? If you don;t have a very stable bar it will wobble a little, and if it is far from the centre the bar may 'bounce' a bit. But I would think that as long as the base is stable it should take the weight. Maybe some specs about your t-bar itself would help answer this better.

SWL, in this case as you've twigged, is all about a static load acting directly downwards.

What's your T-Bar mounted on?

You might be able to weight the stand down with some sand bags to increase stability.

Hi thanks for the reply. I don't want to use sandbags as it's for home use and that would look unsightly. But safety is obviously more important than anything.

My T Bar is this

http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/qk4228050cr.jpg

• Adjustable height (116 - 270 cm)
  • Supplied with T-bar (92 cm)
  • Fixings for 4 lighting effects
  • 30 mm diameter steel tube
  • Weight: 3.9 kg
  • Load capacity: 20 kg

Hi all,

Cheers.

Joel

Well, it won't 'throw' around much torque because the weight is mostly in the base. How far will the unit be from the centre support of the t-bar? Do you stabilise your t-bar with weights or sandbags? If you don;t have a very stable bar it will wobble a little, and if it is far from the centre the bar may 'bounce' a bit. But I would think that as long as the base is stable it should take the weight. Maybe some specs about your t-bar itself would help answer this better.

I can put it in the centre, there are 3 lasers on it at the moment and a space in the middle left.

My T Bar is this

http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/qk4228050cr.jpg

I can put it in the centre, there are 3 lasers on it at the moment and a space in the middle left.

Well, from the pic it looks like the stand is the type with a plastic T-piece to connect to the top of the upright - these aren't the sturdiest options, and ones I've seen in the past can suffer from imbalance of weight either side (over time).

it's for home use and that would look unsightly.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would anyone want a t-bar with a waggly and lasers on it "for home use"?

The sandbags, on the other hand, could come in useful at home!

I hope you know what you're doing with those lasers at, what I guess given the operating environment, must be very close range.

Archived