How to get controller talking to fixture

bertbass

Hi I'm after some advise. I have a pair of Equinox Mega Bars and a newly aquired Botex scene setter 48. This is the same as all the other scene setters and a manual can be found here. http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1180&MainId=1&Category=Controllers%20Distributed%20By%20American%20DJ

The manual for the Equinox Mega Bar can be found here. prolight.co.uk/images/media/EQLED63/EQLED63-um0.pdf

According to the Equinox manual, the Mega Bar can be used in 15 channel DMX mode.

CH 1 11-21

CH 2 MASTER DIMMER (0-255)

CH 3 FLASH (0-255)

CH 4 RED POD 4

CH 5 GREEN POD 4

CH 6 BLUE POD 4

CH 7 RED POD 3

CH 8 GREEN POD 3

CH 9 BLUE POD 3

CH 10 RED POD 2

CH 11 GREEN POD 2

CH 12 BLUE POD 2

CH 13 RED POD 1

CH 14 GREEN POD 1

CH 15 BLUE POD 1

I foolishly assumed that I could just set the Mega Bar to 15 ch DMX, set the scene setter to record and adjust faders 1 to 15 to set scenes, but that doesn't happen. What does happen is, as I push up the channel 1 fader all the pods cycle through the various colours together and then cycle through preset chases. The flash fader causes the lights to flash but nothing else works.

Obviously I have not set things up correctly, does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks.

You need to set and leave channel one fader somewhere in the range DMX 11-21. With that controller I assume there is no way to know exactly what value you have it set at so you will just have to experiment. This should be easy:

Put fader 2 at full, fader 3 at zero, faders 4 thru' 15 at full. Raise fader 1 slowly from zero until all the pods go white. Now if you leave fader 1 in that position, fader 2 should control overall dimming and faders 4 thru' 15 will control the RGB levels for the four pods.

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of the channel 1 setting? Is it just a consequence of channel 1 being used in the 6 channel mode? I can't see any other obvious reason.

Archived