DMX to D54

callumb

I am looking at ways of connecting a DMX desk to a 24 channel Strand Permus dimmer. I know I can get a wonderful DMX to D54 converter all be it at a HUGE cost. I dont have that HUGE cost. Is there anyway of connecting a boxtex multi exchanger or some other demux to the Permus? I don't mind poking about inside the dimmer.

Thanks

Thats what I was hoping to do:

Desk --- DMX --- DMUX --- 10V --- Permus

Skipping out the D54 totally. Im not sure if I am able too. I am 70 miles just now from the dimmers and wont be at them for a few weeks and trying to come up with something. Anyone know where inside if its possible to connect a DMUX via printer cable inside?

er... I found the info you want in the topic linked to. The low voltage is applied to the control circuit by pressure pad connectors - so basically, it's not a multiway connector, just a hole into which you stick the multicore(s) and then poke the wires into the hole. So it's individual wiring, no fancy get out of trouble quick with a ready made cable - sorry! The 8 way connectors used at that time were connected via a small box with again, individual cores.

er... I found the info you want in the topic linked to. The low voltage is applied to the control circuit by pressure pad connectors - so basically, it's not a multiway connector, just a hole into which you stick the multicore(s) and then poke the wires into the hole. So it's individual wiring, no fancy get out of trouble quick with a ready made cable - sorry! The 8 way connectors used at that time were connected via a small box with again, individual cores.

Ah. *goes back into my little hole where Im quiet* http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif I wouldn't be expecting a quick fix kind of thing. I may add a D25 connector to the outside and keep the D54 3pin XLR for the old desk for people use when needed, then use the dmux and hired in DMX desk for the proper shows. Thanks. :)

My baby son has kept me up all night so forgive me if I'm wrong but;

The Botex unit listed on Thomann says it has a 25-pin D-sub connector and the Permus rack has a terminal strip inside at the top right to take a 0 to -10V input per channel. I'm not sure where the pressure pads reference comes in but it should be a relatively easy thing to do to connect the two units together, that's certainly how I set up some old racks with F&E interfaces we bought a few years ago.

Obviously this would mean the rack would have to run on the Botex inputs once the internal D54 demux has been disconnected, though, so I'm not sure how you could leave the 3-pin connector in place and useable.

CPC have a 72 way DMX to analogue demux made by elation, when I looked for a unit it was the cheapest on the market. I have been using it for a couple of years now on a mixture of Strand and zero 88 dimmers. it was a lot cheaper than buying all new DMX dimmers.

Archived