What camera?

MikeDennis

Hi, I'll make it as simple as possible.

For gigs, we want a lightweight camera mounted on the truss pointing at the stage and feeding directly to a projector in another part of the venue. Nothing fancy whatsoever - just want a C-video output and, if possible, a "switch on and it starts filming" function!

Where do I start?

Probably nothing wrong with them, bit more "consumer" though. Need to check that they keep outputting video without turning off after a period of time. Have you had a bit of a search for the stage relay camera topics, might be some good info in there?

Try a google search with the suffix site:blue-room.org.uk - the search function here isn't as fantastic as it used to be.

David

That was very helpful, thanks David. Just got to find one that will be easy to mount on our truss now.

Hi Jason, think that's a bit high spec for this purpose. I just want a reasonably good static representation of the stage - not for recording - just for live feed.

If you put a camcorder in the truss, you will have to send a rigger up there to change the film/tape/disc/card. If you put a camera up there you could record at a more convenient location with no access problem.

A camcorder used as camera only may well go to sleep if not used often enough as the usual problem is flat battery.

If composite video is good enough for your application then there are LOTS of boxes with camera and remote recorder and monitor available, or there will be a software option to record direct to file then dump to disc from a computer.

We use an old camcorder for a show relay to the dressing room (via one of the Argos type video senders; Scart or phono option).

Very fortunately said unit can sit on a shelf within inches of a 13A skt. The joy is no long feeders to bother with.

If you remove the tape cassette (8mm) then this particular model (can't recall which) does not enter sleep mode. We would never dream of recording the show because of copyright, of course.

Hi, I'll make it as simple as possible.

For gigs, we want a lightweight camera mounted on the truss pointing at the stage and feeding directly to a projector in another part of the venue. Nothing fancy whatsoever - just want a C-video output and, if possible, a "switch on and it starts filming" function!

Where do I start?

One possibility is a 'bullet' cam meant for helmet mounted operations. These tend to be small and easily mountable. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/ some of their higher end models are even used by the BBC for sequences from odd angles for things like Top Gear.

Go Pros Could work pretty well for this application to be fair.. ive only used them by recording to SD personally, but I have seen them being used to feed plasmas via a switcher - however im not sure what the output options are on the unit itself - but its defiantly possible. I also believe that using them as just a screen feed would mean the unit is ready to go as soon as you feed it power - as your not actually telling the unit to record.

You could use go pros, because there is composite out, BUT the very wide angle makes for very uneasy viewing. Tons of dirt cheap, cctv style cameras on ebay. Our show relay camera was about fifty quid, brand new! If you have an old camcorder, they usually work fine empty, and come on when power is applied - however, most go into auto - which may not be what you want.

Archived