Best/favourite audio cable

DJ bradderz

Hi,

Im about to buy some cable to make my own cables up, and I was wondering, what are your favourite cables to use?

Im looking for some 2 core + shield cable, so im interested in which one you guys think is best for value/quality.

Thanks

Brad

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess you are looking for recommendations for XLR / balanced mic cable. There are two options - if you've got the cash, then go for Van Damme mic cable. If you're on a bit more of a budget then go for the Studiospares Europa stuff for about 50 quid. Make sure you use genuine Neutrik connectors and you'll be all ready to go.

have you used the Studiospares cable? is it good enough quality or should I try and spend a bit more cash?

I found this cable http://www.thomann.d...highflex_sw.htm anyone actually used it? know what its like?

E2A:

Make sure you use genuine Neutrik connectors and you'll be all ready to go.

Yeah ive got Neautrik connectors, from past experience I know how much better they are

The cable you linked to is OK - it's easy to put on, it's quite bendy. The shield is spiral wrapped and a bit finer than usual - which probably is the reason it's flexible. I found it a bit more difficult to solder because the chance of a stray bit of wire getting loose was a bit of a pain - meaning I used a bit of heat shrink on the twisted shield before soldering it, which made stray wires less of a problem. I don't think I'd buy any more - not really cheap enough to call cheap, and not as good as expensive. Nothing wrong with it - but I will stick with Canford HS-T in the violet colour (because I like it, and it makes finding my cables easier!)

+1 for Van Damme XKE mic cable I think it is. Good quality, easy to terminate, and comes in a variety of colours should you need it.

Have also had good results with Canford HST, and various Kelsey offerings, but only use VDC now just to keep everything standard.

Canford HST, VDC XKE or Evolution XPC OFC are all well known for their quality and are about the same price retail.

For about half the cost, Cordial CMK222 and Lynx LC7 both coil well, though I would describe the LC7 as being a semi-matt finish despite what any retailer may say.

I think I have some Sommer cable too, which is matt and coils well, I think it's club series but I couldn't say for certain

have you used the Studiospares cable? is it good enough quality or should I try and spend a bit more cash?

Yep - I made a load of cables up ages ago with it - for heavily used touring rigs (ie flightcases and 3.5 tonners) then it's worth going VDC, but for fixed install / weekend warrior use it was perfect.

I find Canford HST better to prepare and solder and also better to handle and coil than Van Damme, but admit to using the latter because of preferential pricing. If I was making a bunch of XLRs now, I'd probably pay the extra for gold plated pins on the Neutriks...

I find Klotz or Van Damme cable a good quality cable along with Neutrik connectors all the way ! you can also have custom Heat shrink with your company logo / branding / channel number etc.. Printed onto the heat shrink too, quite good if you are a hire company etc..

If thats something that could be of interest to you then this is a service we offer it is quite a cheap way of branding your cables so they don't get taken, this is the problem we have quite a lot, loosing cables...

Archived