Laser

Hey,

I was cleaning one of the lasers I have in the club in which I work, and it was working fine.

However after re-aligning the mirrors, the laser suddenly stopped projecting.

I can't see anything wrong with the module, and all I did was loosen the screw holding the mirror motor in place to turn it a little.

It still powers on, and still appears to be receiving DMX, but the reason as to why it won't project is beyond my comprehension.

As for make and model, I haven't a clue as there is no branding on the unit apart from a "LASERWORLD" sticker with a serial number.

Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be?? from looking at their website, some of their newer laser's talk about having a "advanced safety system" but won't tell you what that system actually is.... highly confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Iain

Sounds like the cleaning may have exposed another fault with the unit, or a fault waiting to happen. If you can't diagnose it on site, or yourself, maybe it's time to take it down and get it to a service agent where they can take a look.

But if it's recieving DMX (how do you know this?) then it shouldn't be too big a deal, and therefore not too expensive to fix.

E2A: How were you cleaning it? Liquid? Compressed air? I can see how both those things would cause problems with electronics/fragile mechanisims.

Cheers

David

"advanced safety system" but won't tell you what that system actually is.

I wonder if part of the advanced safety system might be a good old fashioned microswitch, either on the case itself, or at the bottom of one of the screw threads.

If there is one, check that hasn't slipped, or if it's on a screw thread, check that you don't have one case screw longer than the others.

If it's a professionally made laser it might have a function to check mirror operation by diverting the mirror onto a small aperture with a light sensor behind it to ensure proper deflection. Unlikely though, since most disco laser manufacturers don't give a toss about safety and use a vague disclaimer to pass the liability onto the user instead.

Hopefully you resisted the temptation to "boost" the lasers power by tweaking the potentiometer on the regulator card, since most of these lasers are operated at the edge of destruction as it is.

The mirror "motor" is a galvanometer. There is a chance you have shorted this out and due to safety systems the laser has stopped working due to feedback circuits.

There are also multiple 'pressure' safety switches within the system which will stop the laser from working if one of the panels are off.

I would get a laser company to have a look at it. I am happy to recommend a few.

It might help if you post the model number.

The mirror "motor" is a galvanometer.

It`s a Laserworld , every chance the mirror motor is a scalextric reject...

DMX channels aren`t set to blank or close the `shutter`?

Usual laser related advice here is to ask on www.photonlexicon.com

Archived