Installing ChilliPro 2410i rotated by 90deg

smalljoshua

Hi Guys,

I'm spec'ing for an install at the moment where there is very limited room for installing the dimming they're requiring. I'm wondering if it's possible to install the dimmers on their side? The issues I can perceive are cooling and access from looking at the manual however I've not spotted any specific text precluding it's install on it's side.

I've emailed Zero88 too but figured a bit of discussion wouldn't hurt.

Josh

The only immediate issue I see is the fact that the menu screen and controls will be sideways but that may not matter to your end client, given that they probably don't need to deal with that side of things. You can mount them so that the MCB door opens downward well enough and stays open, not sure about the convection issue - if there is one.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't mount them on their side, they never get particularly warm in normal operation and are convention cooled - as long as you maintain enough free space around the unit they should be fine...

Obviously the menu and controls would be a little awkward to use ;)

My end client wants a system that never has to be touched, seen, thought about or noticed. Once I address the units, the only reason they'll have to even go near them will be to reset a MCB should one trip.

I don't want to shorten their life spans at all, the install needs to have a good longevity to it. I also need to place two units one above the other in the sideways configuration.

E2A: I've never noticed the ones I've installed before getting even warm, I just want to be 100% sure.

I've emailed Zero88 too to get their opinion. Thanks for the comment. :)

Josh

Ummm Josh... You do realize the dimensions are 1000mm(h) x 632mm(w)... So surely you could just mount them vertically if the height issue was the problem as two racks side by side is going to be shorter than two racks one above the other, with the racks mounted on their sides?

Or am I completely mis-reading what you've just said!

James

Ashley hit the nail on the head there, I've got about 1200mm x 1800mm (WxH) to work with on this wall. I'm going to have to take a look at this from another angle now anyway as I received an email from Zero88 this morning stating that they can't condone installation in this manner.

Josh

To add to the e-mail my colleague sent to you.

The reason we have recommended that do not mount them sideways is the 24 way units have a heat syncs running down both sides of the unit. We have designed them in such a way that the airflow through and around is from bottom to top.

With the unit on it's side you would then have the heat sync at the bottom pumping heat into the unit internally.

This then has the effect of de-rated the channels due to thermal issue.

This can be anything up to 50% of their rating.

From testing we found that you can start to see thermal tripping on the breakers, heat dissipation on triacs themselves makes them more susceptible to thermal failure. This normally takes the form of the channel being switch on and staying on so you have to turn the breaker off for it to cool before it will dim again.

There are also issue with cooling of other components like the channel chokes etc.

Hope this helps explain why we have said no.

Different model of dimmer perhaps? LSC or Jands spring to mind (But then again im in oz!) Or ETC or Theaterlight NZ. Between all of them there should be something that will fit in that space! (Unless there is a different zero 88 product that could plug the hole so to speak)

If considering different models of dimmer what about the Light Processor paradim wall mount units ? They're 336x465 but only 6 channel - 8 should fit in the space you have available for dimmers though, the right way up... (they do a 12 and 18 channel dimmer lower cost dimmer under the name "Dimension" as well, but I'm not as big a fan of them)

In the interests of full disclosure I'm associated with a company that sells these products, and I have two in my house (don't ask ;)) but I've personally found them to be rock-solid dimmers and they're another brand of Cooper Controls (same as Zero88) so they're well built.

Cheers for all the recommendations guys. I've been back to site today and re-measured, I can just about squeeze the Chilli's in (including air gaps) with some re-routing of trunking. I want to stick with the Chilli as I know them and can get them at a good price per channel.

Cheers again guys.

Josh

Archived