Installing ChilliPro 2410i rotated by 90deg

smalljoshua

The heatsink channels in the Chillis are vertical and rely on thermal convection cooling. I think there would be heat issues if you mounted them sideways.

Couple of fans would soon sort that out.

So now we're talking about installing fans in dimmer racks? Now we're going from the first level of bodging to the next. I think finding a place to install the dimmers correctly sounds like a good idea, or if there isn't one then get dimmers that do fit.

So now we're talking about installing fans in dimmer racks? Now we're going from the first level of bodging to the next. I think finding a place to install the dimmers correctly sounds like a good idea, or if there isn't one then get dimmers that do fit.

If you particularly want to fit Chillis in a space that will only accomodate them rotated, then it's not too much of a fudge imo. Obviously if another dimmer fits the bill then it would of course be sensible to use that, but that might not always be an available option.

Ashley hit the nail on the head there, I've got about 1200mm x 1800mm (WxH) to work with on this wall

A pair of ETC's DRd12 Smartlink racks will easily fit in that space for the same number of channels (and channels per rack) - would be 1014 x 1092mm including clearances.

- You would need 686mm depth to open the door though.

I'm not surprised Zero88 said not to mount them sideways - I'd have said the same given the way those are cooled.

Trying to fan cool them on the side would still be asking for trouble - it's not just the heatsinks, the whole enclosure will be designed expecting heat to rise.

Set with MCBs at the top would almost certainly make them trip as Chillis have thermal-magnetic breakers that derate quite significantly when warm, (unlike ETC Sensor and Unison's magnetic-hydraulic), and the other way would overheat the triacs.

Either way, sideways would not be good for longevity.

Archived