To lamp off or not to lamp off?

jona1984

I'm not strictly a lampie so forgive me if this is like 'Lighting 101' stuff but -

I'm wondering if we should be manually 'lamping off' our moving head fixtures before cutting the power to allow them time to cool down under their internal fans (like you might do with a projector etc...) or whether just turning the rig off at the mains breakers is perfectly acceptable? Will I be killing the lamp life significantly by not doing this?

Yes ideally try to lamp off first. Although I don't tend to bother if its 250W fixtures that have been on for an hour. I guess it depends on what units you are using and how long they have been lamped on.

In simple terms, follow the manugfactirers' guidelines - if they say lamp off, then lamp off. As with projector lamps, yes it IS to allow cooling before cutting the power and failure to do this on a regular basis WILL reduce the eventual life of the lamps. Even on MSD 250 etc.

SOME fixtures are OK for powering down without lamp-off, and are also good for restriking whilst hot, but I'd check the manual before you assume anything.

Lamping-off isn't just good for the lamps - the fans will stay on for a few minutes and help to dispel residual heat from the fixture - this is particularly important with more modern plastic-based enclosures, that will eventually become brittle from heat damage - the longer you can postpone this, the better.

I'm not certain whether running the fans after lamping off is done to preserve the lamp or to save the rest of the fixture from heat damage. If you simply switch a fixture off without lamping off and using the fans to cool everything down, then the heat thats still being given off by the lamp won't be pushed out by the fans and may eventually damage other parts of the fixture. I don't see how switching off a lamp will damage the lamp itself, after all once you stop putting energy into it it cannot get any hotter than its operating temperature.

Cant it get hotter than its operating temperature? As the fans would be keeping that operation temperature down, would they not? And in those few seconds after you have switched off the fixture, and the fans are no longer going, wouldn't the lamp temperature then increase?

But where would the energy come from? The lamps run at a hotter temperature anyway...the fans reduce the internal heat build up around the rest of the fitting, more to stop the components cooking off or perhaps preventing any lube becoming liquid and draining away, or, as mentioned above prevent premature ageing and incipient brittleness if a plastic housing.

The lamps themselves are still at whatever the burning temperature is anyway for them to function properly. The wire elements are designed to burn white hot and the glass used has to have become hotter when being blown into shape, shirley?

We have read of some lamps becoming deformed in use but that is rather the exception and might be down to a poorly designed lamphouse, orientation of the lamp itself and ventilation thereof.

At its running temperature, the lamp glass is almost hot enough to melt, or certainly to be close to softening. The fan stops this temperature from rising excessively, but if the power is cut suddenly, there is still a lot of heat to disperse but the fan isn't removing that heat - it takes time, a second or two, for the heat to travel from the arc or filament to the outside of the lamp, so the capsule could potentially get briefly hotter as the power is cut. Clearly this will vary from fixture to fixture as some are much more reliant on effective fan cooling than others.

The lamp capsule runs at 250+C the fans and cooling guides remove a lot of that heat before it damages the plastics and semicoductors. On power off the heat from the lamp (and holder and reflector) has to go somewhere and inside is the major place so things can cook (Chips cables and sensors and plastic pieces) On Lamp off the fan keeps blowing the heat out of the unit til it's a safer place for the components to have a more normal life.

In a typical (UK) temperature range lamps will go off to save power costs, a lamp strike usually needs a cool lamp so a break of say twenty minutes would be left lamp on but a longer break (say between mattinee and evening show) may be lamped off. There is also an estimate of the lamp life used for each strike as a guess a lamp strike uses some life so short breaks would be lamp on but again long breaks would be lamped off.

There was a post here long ago about a gig in Arctic Scandinavia where things were done differently to avoid condensation settling on cold luminaiers causing then to fail to come on later - but that's an oddity for well sub zero jobs.

Archived