Behringer XENYX 1002b Mixer ? Is it a stereo mixer and how do I hook i

plainman007

Hi,

I am planning to buy a Behringer Xenyx 1002b Mixer. Can you guys tell me if this mixer can handle 2 or 3 stereo sources. Im confused because ive only worked with a Yamaha MG21 so far and that has seperate red/white RCA connecters seperately for each stereo channels. In the Xenyx its just phono jacks. How do I connect 2 stereo sources (Ex 2 stereo players which each give me 2 rca sets out each) and get them into the mix ? Also my wireless mic receiver has a phone jack type out. How do I connect that mic to a single mono channel on the mixer in question. There seem to be dual phono jacks on even the mic/mono channels. Im not at all experienced in audio so tell me in very simple terms please :).

Thanks

There seem to be dual phono jacks on even the mic/mono channels.

These are not phono jacks. In the UK, "phono jacks" are the same thing as RCA jacks.

The jacks on the mono channels on this mixer are 1/4" (6.5mm) jacks.

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/2/8/8/9/webimg/1310840.jpg

I have no idea if you have had a look at a picture of this mixer, or read the user manual, but if you had, you will see that channels 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 have the dual numbering system as I have written. http://www.behringer.com/assets/1002B_P0A04_Reflective_web.png

If you had done so, you would have seen that the 1/4" jacks are labelled L and R, which would suggest that they are for a stereo source.

So yes, to answer your question, you can connect 3 stereo sources to this mixer, you may need adaptors from RCA to 1/4" jack however.

The dual jacks on the mono channels (1,2) are there so that one is a line input, and the other is an insert so you can add processing such as an equaliser, compressor or effects unit.

David

(user manual: http://www.behringer.com/assets/1002B_P0A04_M_EN.pdf )

We've got one of these little gents, it's very versatile. You can connect four stereo sources, as the 9/10 channel has RCA and 1/4" TS jacks - the 'tape input' runs through a proper channel.

For connecting your red/white Phono connectors you'd either need to swap the cables (if they can be detached at the CD player) for phono-jack cables, or use these adaptors:

http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/COR206.jpg

Stick them in all the jack sockets on the stereo channels and you're away.

I have definitely seen the mixer and would have wanted to post the pic myself but dont know if I can post pics here. I always read and at least see the product in person or online and try to understand as much as I can and then ask. So im very aware of the 3/4, 5/6 etc channels. But my doubt was only about the jacks on the top. On my yamaha mixer each of the 3/4, 5/6 stereo sections have RCA red/white sockets at the top of each stereo channel. To simplify I just asked straight away in a simple manner as to wether this will work for stereo. Yes I admit I didnt read the manual. I didnt because even manuals assume you know the basics. And this was too basic a question. Im sure this manual wouldnt say somewhere that "you can use stereo sources on this mixer" and frankly at this juncture I didnt have the time to read the entire technicalities and deduce that it accepts stereo properly. I never had this doubt for a second when I bought my Yamaha mixer.

My doubt is actually 2 main things. Its only the jack thats different ? so instead of red/white RCA's id just have to use phono jacks or convertor plugs on the tips of the Red and White plus respectively. Does this affect quality ?

Also my second doubt is when I slide up fader 3/4 the stereo source gets into the mix (both left and right) ? Because a monkey at the store was telling me to turn the pan knob to left and the other one to right etc. Which other one he wouldnt say ???? When both stereo sides are coming to the same fader, if I pan left. Then only my left channel would enter the mix right ? Im no expert but based on just logic from what I can see, he doesnt know what he's talking about.

Regards

I'm not having a go at you, just asking to see what you've already tried etc. :)

Its only the jack thats different ? so instead of red/white RCA's id just have to use phono jacks or convertor plugs on the tips of the Red and White plus respectively. Does this affect quality ?

That's correct. No it won't affect quality, it just changes the connectors over.

when I slide up fader 3/4 the stereo source gets into the mix (both left and right) ?
The way the stereo channels are wired, if you plug one jack into the left socket, it will be internally routed to both left and right outputs. The "pan" knob will pan it left or right as you would expect.

If you plug 2 jacks into the left and right sockets, then the left one will be routed to the left output only and the right one will be routed to the right output only. The pan knob now adjusts the balance between the left and right outputs, with the centre position allowing signal to both the left and right outputs.

Because a monkey at the store was telling me to turn the pan knob to left and the other one to right etc. Which other one he wouldnt say ????

This would be correct if you were using 2 mono channels together to input a stereo signal. Because one channel would have the left signal only, and you'd want to pan it to the left output, and likewise the right output

Let me know if this is unclear.

David

No offence taken here. I understand that you were doubtful if ive actually seen the product. Just clarified that I have.

Your 2nd paragraph clears the question I had in mind. Actually the third para is nothing but an alternate to whats been explained by you in the 2nd para. I didnt know that the input senses if one jack is unused and replicates the left mono signal to fill in for the right side too. This the monkey in question couldnt explain. Hes also the one who loads the equipment off the truck and mops the floor at the showroom. Not exactly "technically sound", ignore the pun.

The red and white phonos on mixers tend to be there to let you play in a stereo source, so in virtually every case, left is left and right is right and there's no pan or balance adjustment - it's always stereo.

Line inputs on jacks have used the Left (MONO) right system for years. Common on all sorts of things like guitar processors, synths, keyboards and other gadgets that could be connected to a single combo amp for live work, or maybe plugged into a mixer for recording. Stick in two leads and you have stereo capability - but if all you need is a single cable, slap it into the left socket, and internally the two channels are paralleled up. On mixers or other devices, the giveaway is the word 'mono' on the left socket only.

With these Behringer mixers, they have twin sockets on the channels, which is a bit unusual (but handy). On most you have to use two separate channels, panning one left and the other right to get stereo into the system.

You asked if there was any difference between quality on the phono vs jack inputs? No - just a different connector. Phonos are convenient, but are rarely as tough as a jack - but they do take up less space!

Although some countries use the term "jack" for just about any connector, in the UK its use is restricted primarily to the 1/4" jack plug. We call RCAs phono plugs and sockets, and XLRs XLR plugs and sockets.

When the posts above refer to a jack input, they mean a 1/4" socket.

Oh ok thats the problem. When Paul in his last line said 'Phonos are convenient, but are rarely as tough as a jack ' I got confused because here they call the 1/4's as phono jacks, or either as jacks or phono. All reffering to 1/4 jacks.

Whats the main difference between this mixer and the XENYX 1204 usb mixer ? Other than the latter having a USB interface ?

the confusion is because as well as RCA phono plugs, in the UK we do have "PHONE" jacks, also called "GPO"* jacks, which are quarter-inch jacks with a rounded tip rather than a pointy one. the name comes from their use in the patch cords found in old-fashioned manual telephone exchanges as patch cords. Still available as patch leads for jackfields like this one. To be honest I don't know what advantages a ball-tipped jack might or might not have over a conical-tipped jack.

*GPO stands for General Post Office, which used to run the telephone system here in the UK.

Hi Guys,

I just got the XENYX 1002B and noticed something strange. I plugged in a stereo source using red/white rca into the stereo 2 TRACK INPUT section. And right next to it theres a 2 TRACK OUTPUT I connected a RCA red/white to headphones into this and listened on the headphones and the channels are inverted I mean when I pan to R the sound is on the left side of my headphones. And vice versa when I pan to L then sound is on my right side of the headphones. This ofcourse can be corrected by putting the output connectors the otherway around (In the wrong order) in order to correct the situation. Yet I wanted to check if ive got a faulty unit. Plz note when I pan right the leds on the right of the VU meter light up and vice versa when I pan left indicating the signal is being routed correctly. But the output section is sending R via the left and L via the right output.

Then I tried my headphones into the phones socket (using a headphone pin to 1/4 jack) and im alarmed to see the phones jack is only supplying left side to my headphones. Tried different headphones, cable sets etc in all combinations. Same result. Should I take it back to the dealer ?

Regards

Tom,

Ive checked the headphones on each and every device I have. Left and right is perfect. They are good quality panasonic original headphones. Then I also tried another panasonic headphone. Same result.

Also I tried different jack type setups with different cable sets right ? So the fault cant be the cables either ? :(

Regards

Hi,

I check it with my amp and it works correctly. But the phones out has some issue. But it may well be the jack. However my main purpose doesnt need phones or the 2 track out (which is giving the output inverted for R and L).

But now I have a bigger problem. The power supply has the wire correded on the outside and I bought the mixer just a day back. The dealer will certainly not help because he made a huge fight to just give me the guarantee that im actually entitled to. He might say leave it here and ill repair it for you. This is the pathetic service and consumer rights we get in my side of the world. Any ideas where I can order one online ? I searched and found this

http://www.pssl.com/!mUY8Zd4PWEGlMNO6Cg6q0A!/Behringer-G81-79142-25888-Power-Supply-s?AID=10404878&PID=2187177&SID=1332192327z04muri8fofqhevbwyong8

This also proves what rubbish they can just dish out and take your money and then ask you to take a walk the next day. I hate the consumer protection that we have here. I think in the USA and UK you can return it no questions asked for a month or so right ?

Regards

Archived