Audio install for pub backround music system

gilkinted

I raised a couple of questions on this in a previous post but am further on with this now. I need to provide CD audio/mp3/Ipod/flac etc., via a balanced stereo output to an ART MX 225 distribution mixer. This will then provide balanced stereo pair outputs to five zones via Cat6 cable to 5 pairs of active cabs. How do I derive the balanced feed to the ART unit - via a small mixing desk? Or, are there devices available that will receive multi-format signals and output a balanced stereo signal. Can't think of or find one! All this has to fit in a vertically arranged rack in a bar location. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Allan

A DI Box converts unbalanced signals to balanced signals.

And typically drops line level to mic level.... but since the ART is expecting line level signals, this wouldn't be suitable! If one was driving a long length of cable, a passive DI at either end (line to mic, then mic to line) would work, but with some caveats regarding potential saturation.

If the source and the distribution amp are in the same rack, it should not be necessary to run a balanced connection between them.

I thouhgt this got answered in the last post / thread (merge it Mods?)

If there are only two playback devices, connect them unbalanced to the ART. If you need more inputs, use a small mixer and connect that to the ART...

Sorry Simon - this is actually a slightly different project - the first post was a studio install, this is a pub install. Either way thanks for your comments and I do feel a mini-mixer is needed. Just to be clear to all other contributors - I believe I HAVE to send balanced line level over the Cat6 to the active cabs. Only question then is do all active cabs expect to see a balanced signal at, say, a 1/4" jack input?

You need a stereo balun

Hi Kevin - you fixed my Mackie 450 last year! I initially though I'd need stereo baluns at each end of the signal chain but it seems that a balanced stereo pair signal such as that distributed by an ART MX 225 or similar will travel quite happily down Cat5/6 cable. My unknown is IF the signal into the powered speaker needs to be unbalanced what happens when you attach a balun AT ONE END ONLY i.e. before the input to the powered cab.

Allan

Archived