Thomann LED Par 56's Blue Failing

Speakercon

Hello all!

We have quite a few of the cheapo floor LED cans from Thomann last September and have used for a few shows and they have worked great. Got them out yesterday and set them up and after about 2 hours one of them had no blue, this was during a show so it was ignored for a while, then an hour or so later another did the same thing and then shorty after another one went west. So by the end of the night 3 out of 10 of them had no blue working and I've no idea why!

It is defiantly not a DMX fault as the other 7 are working fine (touch wood) and I put the 3 broken ones on audio mode and they sequenced red, green and then blank (where blue should be) so it must be the units that are faulty and I would expect it to be the same in every unit.

All I can think is that is a manufacturing fault as 3 have done it at the same time but its odd they have worked for 5 months before breaking then they all do at the same time! They have not been bashed about (to my knowledge).

Anyway just wondered for interest really, have emailed Thomann so I guess they will be going back... Any theory's appreciated!

PS - I have seen the thread on the clip falling and shorting the pcb but I have checked and all clips are still in place!

Cheers!

I have suffered the same issue, Thomann's sent me new fuses and asked me to swap out have done this on 5 out of 6 fuses. Always the blue that seems to go. Units are on fixed install so dont really get moved, I am starting to have them fail for the second time.

THe fuse change is a bit fiddley. You need to remove the 3 screws that screw the LED board down. remove the LED board and disconnect it from the unit Then you will see a number of stand offs on a black metal plate. There are 3 screws around the outside of the light these have nylock nuts on the back which if your not careful will mean you shred the head of th screw.

Once you have removed the screws you will find the metal plate is loose and you will find 3 main fuse holders for R, G and B LED's.

Hope this helps, interesting to know its a common fault.

You can also thread the black fuse holders through the holes in the metal plate to save you removing it. These units are good (for certain things) for the money, but suffer from blowing fuses like you've experienced, and dry joints on the LEDs leading to strips of colour failing.

For the cost of those cans Thomson want ask for you to send them back. I had one that just lost track of what it was supposed to do and went haywire with flashing colours! Sent them an email and they sent me a new one with our needing to send the broken one back. Kept the wonky one as spares.

Fixed! It was the fuses, and you're right it's a bit of a faff to get to them, wonder why they didn't make them assessable from the outside? Unless there is a design fault and they are not 'meant to blow frequently.

Thomann haven't replied yet so I'll be interested to see what they say. I still find it odd that 3 all blew at once, all well at least now I know what to do as no doubt the others will go that way in time.

Thanks anyway, happy I don't have to send 'em back now!

I've replaced them with 200mA quick blows, I assume they are quick blows?

Archived