plug and play system

bigted

hi,

recomendations please ,,

we are a three piece cover band accoustic guitar, electric guitar and bass and three vocals

we play live and sometimes with tracks that we made ourselves,

we are after something light punchy and reliable and easy and quick to set up so something with lightweight controller amp

we have quite a high budget to play with :)

few systems we had in mind 1 nexo ps 10 r2 with 2 subs

2 something from the fohnn range

3 maybe d&b teknik

we play in a range of venues so like the idea of been able to use 2 tops and 1 sub

and for larger venues eg weddings ect 2 tops and 2 subs

any help appreciarted as this is prob the only chance of buying something top end that we will ever get,,

Hi,

Well all three options are very well thought of. Why not arrange a demo with a reputable dealer? If you go for a D&B system, they do a very informative day long seminar on acoustics and sound systems which is a great chance to learn how to get the best from your kit.

The Fohhn XT33 tops and XS-30 Subs make a very nice, compact and lightweight system. A hire company local to me (in Plymouth) have a number of the systems. The sub contains an Amp for the top on each side.

Just run power and signal to the sub and a speakon cable between the sub and top on each side. I can have sound out of this system in no time at all. It's very nice and punchy too.

Where abouts in the UK are you? It might be possible to get a demo locally.

Josh

As a long-time Lucas user I would suggest having a look at what HK have available and forgetting the amp.

FWIW, were I thinking of buying, and had the bucks, I would take a serious look at the HK Elements system for your purposes. Heard one of the small Band One units and it blew me away. Extremely lightweight and compact with superb sound quality and enough volume for what you need. Also able to be expanded as venues and money grow.

There are plenty of other active systems around but, as I said, I am a HK biased kind of guy. Whatever you do ask for a full band try-out before purchasing anything, it might sound great on demo but not suit your "sound" at all.

If you have the budget to get a decent D&B then you will thank yourself for it. the systems are very easy set-up if you have the amps racked properly. The E-series range is unbeliveably light, and still sounds fantastic. depending of the size of venues you do, but I'd suggest trying a 2 x E-15X-SUB, 2 x E12-D's. with two D12 amps. Iv used this system with a band several times and its lovely and clear.

The nexo systems are also lovely but way heavier than the D&B system mentioned.

Depending on your location, if your in scotland I could possible get you a demo of a Nexo System.

The Fohhn XT33 tops and XS-30 Subs make a very nice, compact and lightweight system. A hire company local to me (in Plymouth) have a number of the systems. The sub contains an Amp for the top on each side.

Although you might do better for your situation to get the powered tops & passive subs (albeit slightly less elegant to cable), as this would cope better with small gigs where you need just one sub (or even none). All of the X-series components are available active or passive, and the second channel in the active cabs can be configured for any other component in the series, to allow this kind of flexibility

If you have the budget to get a decent D&B then you will thank yourself for it. the systems are very easy set-up if you have the amps racked properly. The E-series range is unbeliveably light, and still sounds fantastic. depending of the size of venues you do, but I'd suggest trying a 2 x E-15X-SUB, 2 x E12-D's. with two D12 amps. Iv used this system with a band several times and its lovely and clear.

Agreed, D&B can often work out as good value once you factor in resale. Ridiculously light cabs here, but heavier amp rack required.

Agreed, D&B can often work out as good value once you factor in resale. Ridiculously light cabs here, but heavier amp rack required.

I'd rather have a heavy amp rack which is on wheels most of the time at floor level than lift heavy speakers up on stands or truss.

Although with meyer or nexo, there cabinets are generally heavy anyway.

I'd rather have a heavy amp rack which is on wheels most of the time at floor level than lift heavy speakers up on stands or truss.

Although with meyer or nexo, there cabinets are generally heavy anyway.

thanks for all the advice ,, still debating !!! my budget is approx 10k£

Archived