speakers and amps

Fiona

I am a great beleiver in getting subs off the floor, flown ideally so they can "move air rather than the building", needless to say the positioning of the sub in this instance would not have been ideal..

Hope this helps

Well - It was outdoors if that is any excuse. I don't want to put words in their mouth but I'm sure the phrase - "sub is omni therefore it doesn't matter where you put it" could be abused here...

You don't need to sell the concept of flying subs to me, I had sx300's paired with SB121's flown on 5m high 'T'bars for this gig with 3m high pairs of 802s' for fill.

To my ears this sounded even and well distributed across the whole arena.

The reason for this whole post was that my only experiance of mackie PA was not a favourable one.

They had two active cabinets either side of the stage and as I said one sub at the back. The foh were about 2m high.

The waffle is suposed to convey the message that the problems may have been due to poor implimentation but I haven't seen them in a favourable light.

sorry

James

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well - It was outdoors if that is any excuse. I don't want to put words in their mouth but I'm sure the phrase - "sub is omni therefore it doesn't matter where you put it" could be abused here...

Were you using any DDL's on this system?

Sending a seperate feed to the subs, or using the internal cross-over to split the signal to the SX's and Bose??

Were you using any DDL's on this system?

Sending a seperate feed to the subs, or using the internal cross-over to split the signal to the SX's and Bose??

Hmm,

I sent full range to the main x-over, driving amps for sx300's and 121's and another full range to the amps for the Bose

I had a DDL in the rack that I could have inserted if neccesary but with the relitavly small distances in this arena it made no percievable difference so I left it out to keep things simpler.

Sorry I only seem to write to this bord on my way to bed when I'm too incoherant to type clearly,

The satelites were (from memory) about 15m from mains, that would have been apx 45ms delay, from the mains heard at the satelites. if my maths works well enough.

The other rig didn't appear to have any delay on their satelite sub arangement if that is what you are asking. :o

What am I realy saying here of value to the group, :D

I don't know - I suppose I'm saying that irrespective of how good your kit is it doesn't help if you don't use it to it's best advantage. :(

The satelites were (from memory) about 15m from mains, that would have been apx 45ms delay, from the mains heard at the satelites. if my maths works well enough. 

So the Subs were 15m behind the SX's and Bose???

If this is the case - I would have to say no wonder it sounded a little "funny", "strange" whatever words you would care to use. For live work for I would probably use a DDL even if the speakers are 5-10 feet in front of the performers, you probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference if you switching in and out the DDL signal say during the sound check using a CD, but adding 18-25ms does help focus the image. I did the Ski show a few years ago where we had to put the sub behind the set, as the designer hated the look of the cabinet. beleive it not we ended up with a delay of something like 60-70ms, to time the bass to the flown Nexo's Quite often the "maths" don't match the actual time. I prefer to go by what I am hearing rather than what the maths tell you.

So the Subs were 15m behind the SX's and Bose???

Yes but it was part of an independant system, not used at the same time,

It was 10-15m bebind the mackie tops.

One event

two PA rigs

James

• 4 years later...

Archived