speakers and amps

Fiona

Ok....last question....have had advice from all sides, and now looking at

Yamaha P3200 amp with JBL control 28 speakers ( 4 of)

OR

Yamaha P4500 amp with Mackie MR8 speakers (4 of)

best decision of the two......???? Would prefer the first option as it's obviously cheaper but not sure if thats really the best combination of speakers / amps ....Remeber it's only for CD's, sound effects and the odd microphone........

Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so you know, the Mackie MR8 was formerly the RCF Monitor 8. Mackie bought RCF (and EAW, another loudspeaker manufacturer) a few years ago.

So it is not really a Mackie product and shouldn't be seen as such.

As far as the choice between the two goes, I'm not sure how much difference there is. I would (as always) recommend a listening test.

The MR8 has a five year warranty, and it includes a one-off no-fault fix as well (which I interpret as meaning that if you blow it up, they will fix it even though it isn't their fault). This should be taken in consideration as it could save you some money in the long run!

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Never used Mackie speakers, but if they're anything like Mackie mixers stay well clear and go for the JBLs.

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

For petes sake Gareth!!!!!!!!!! how the hell can you say stay away from a certain speaker if you never heard them??

That's a bit like saying keep away from all Strand lighting desks because the M24 was crap!? Get my point.

Unless you have sued something - don;t pass judgment!

End of rant!

The JBL does not compare with the Mackie SRM450

-1- The mackie is an Active, timed, wide dispersion box with superb definition and clarity

-2- The Control 28 is a 90° Horn, Installation, 175W Power Program, 8 ohm box used a lot in bars and clubs

The JBL is roughly half the cost of a Mackie 450 - Back to you get what you pay for argument.

Never used Mackie speakers, but if they're anything like Mackie mixers stay well clear and go for the JBLs.

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

For petes sake Gareth!!!!!!!!!! how the hell can you say stay away from a certain speaker if you never heard them??

That's a bit like saying keep away from all Strand lighting desks because the M24 was crap!? Get my point.

Unless you have sued something - don;t pass judgment!

You obviously failed to notice the qualifying "... but if they're anything like ..." bit of my post, Paul. The only experience of Mackie kit that I have is of their mixers, and I wasn't particularly impressed. I clearly stated that I had no experience of Mackie speakers. And I happen to know that JBL make damn fine speakers. Don't take it so personally, Paul! :o

I use two pairs of the SR1530 tops, coupled with a pair of the SWA1501 bins - and I have to say they beat the pants off of anything I've ever heard in the past. Mackie speakers I can personally vouch for - the best thing since bread came sliced!

You obviously failed to notice the qualifying "... but if they're anything like ..." bit of my post, Paul. The only experience of Mackie kit that I have is of their mixers, and I wasn't particularly impressed. I clearly stated that I had no experience of Mackie speakers. And I happen to know that JBL make damn fine speakers. Don't take it so personally, Paul!  :(

:D I don't take much in life too seriously Gareth........ especially when someone tries to compare a mixing console with a loudspeaker !!! ** laughs out loud ** :D :o

You do do lighting don't you?

I use two pairs of the SR1530 tops, coupled with a pair of the SWA1501 bins - and I have to say they beat the pants off of anything I've ever heard in the past.  Mackie speakers I can personally vouch for - the best thing since bread came sliced!

Have to agree with you, the Mackie subs are extremely tight for such a small box, and the price is amazing. Not heard the 1531's at full "whack". have you heard the SA1521, and if so how do you compare the two??

Haven't heard the 1521s yet - but I've heard the new 1232s (1300w per side if memory serves!) and they're awesome! I thought the 1530s were loud..........

Saying that, I personally haven't used their desks so, like Gareth I can't really compare their merits. All I know is Mackie speakers are good!

Have to agree with you, the Mackie subs are extremely tight for such a small box, and the price is amazing. Not heard the 1531's at full "whack". have you heard the SA1521, and if so how do you compare the two??

I have to say that I don't know the model of the sub I'm talking about but my one experiance of a Mackie active sub was not a good one. It was an outdoor gig where I had been under the impression (along with the event organiser) that I was providing PA - anyway the band arive and procede to rig their own PA. The sub was what let it down for them. Probably - it must be said due to positioning they put it in the middle - at the back of a 12'x16' steeldeck stage next to the base cab and the whole thing boomed and farted along horribly. It sounded like a student's hifi where they stick the speakers in the corners of the room to get that extra 6dB gain from coupling with the wall.

Oh and as it wasn't my rig I had to sit there and cringe my whole way through their set.

Sorry for ranting. (late night)

James

That's the problem James - they need to be out in front and seen. They (as most bands do) probably had their bass controls turned up to maximum (there's a dial on the back of the unit to control the overall bass) and that's when they do start sounding bad.

Regards,

Rich.

Probably - it must be said due to positioning they put it in the middle - at the back of a 12'x16' steeldeck stage next to the base cab and the whole thing boomed and farted along horribly.

:o errrr... what was the sub doing at the back of stage?? Just a though,

I am a great beleiver in getting subs off the floor, flown ideally so they can "move air rather than the building", needless to say the positioning of the sub in this instance would not have been ideal..

Hope this helps

Archived