LSD NMiH

back_ache

I've come across a new type of battery, a variant of NMiH that is designed with a low self discharge so it can be used for long-life low drain applications instead of disposable alkalines.

I am trying them out at home (maplins "hybrid" brand) and so far so good.

I am interested to hear other peoples experiences with them before I spend other peoples money on them.

Has anyone else tried them?

Beware the cheaper brands. I've a gut feeling that they are badging ordinary NiMh cells as low self discharge to cash in on the fad.

The Hybrio and Enerloop cells have actually been around for quite a while.

What sort of applications would benefit from a long shelf time with a rechargeable battery though? I would have thought that alkaline might have been a better option for tat scenario. Especially when I wouldn't trust a stored rechargeable enough not to "top it up" before use.

7dayshop have been trading long enough to differentiate them from the ebay 9900mAh AA crowd...

Long life rechargeables means having enough in stock that can treat them as alkalines, not be concerned so much about top off charge before use , or waiting for set to charge.

The Enloop - although currently powering my cordless mouse - work down to -20 at full power - so we love em - nothing worse than a frozem battery after a long days rigging.

The standby is a bonus as I never seem to remember to charge before I need batteries

Archived