UK telephones

Gerry

I now live in Spain and am out of touch with many things in the UK.

I'm putting together the sound effect's for a play set in the present time in England.

There is a phone that has 2 lines coming into it.

Whilst some one is on the phone the other line rings.

My question is does the second line have a different ring tone to the first line?

Cheers

Gerry

Hmmm...

That can very often depend on the phone. From memory a lot of phones may well have 2 different ringer options for when the handset is down, BUT if the user is on one line, they tend not to actually ring the bell set but beep in the ear of the phone itself to alert them that another call is incoming.

On a two line switchboard the ring tone is the same and the relevant light flashes to indicate which line. In 99% of cases that is.

On single instrument handsets what Tony states is the case and the receiving person switches between lines, on my phone by depressing the switchhooks momentarily.

Thanks Tony and Kerry for the replies.

Looks as if the author took a bit of artistic licence in saying the 2nd line rings when the actor is already on the phone.

I'll probably use a just audible beep beep type sound to indicate, to the actor and audience that something has happened.

Cheers

Gerry

Looks as if the author took a bit of artistic licence in saying the 2nd line rings when the actor is already on the phone.

Cheers

Gerry

It is possible that the author had in mind a situation which we have in our office. We have several incoming lines and in some rooms more than one telephone. If one telephone in a room is being used and a call comes in on another line then the other (unused) telephone will ring. Whether this is of use depends of course upon the production but it may help. The fact that there are two lines possibly suggests a business rather than a domestic setting.

Well if I was asked to supply props for that scenario I think I would use my own artistic licence and supply two seperate phones. Preferably in different colour. That way the audience would receive better communication of the change of caller and who the actor is talking to. Can't reall say though without reading the script.

I'll probably use a just audible beep beep type sound to indicate, to the actor and audience that something has happened.

The play is "Rumours" by Neil Simon. Originally written for the American stage, and set in America, and then adopted for the English stage and set in London.

Action takes place in the London home of the Deputy finance minister.

Re reading the script the second line is probably a third party entering into a conference call with the other two people already on the phone.

So second phone is not a solution, good idea though.

So I suppose my question should have been is how does it get notified that a third party is ready to enter the conference call?

Cheers

Gerry

Archived