Tying off

chris

But as important as the method of tying off, is the 'keeping tidy'. Never leave any rope on the deck. I always loop the excess rope in lage coils around the cleet. If there 'aint any cleet left, I tuck the large coils of rope between the wall and the line.

Have you tried the following? Coil the excess as you would a cable, reach through the coil and grasp the standing part of the rope near the cleat, drop the coil onto the standing part, pull a loop through the coil and hook this over the cleat.

This works much better than it reads; trust me!

Whilst on this subject, am I right in saying safe lifting weight for one person is 25kg or 23kg for multiple lifts?

Very difficult to give a definitve answer. The guidance notes to the Manual Handling Regulations has a load of stuff on it.

25kg would appear to be the maximum for a weight carried by a man at knuckle height by the side of his body. How you get it there is another problem. These figures are reduced by up to 80% if it's a regular operation and by 20% if you have to twist.

I'd really suggest getting a copy as the devil is in the detail.

Manual Handling Guidance Notes

But as important as the method of tying off, is the 'keeping tidy'. Never leave any rope on the deck. I always loop the excess rope in lage coils around the cleet. If there 'aint any cleet left, I tuck the large coils of rope between the wall and the line.

Have you tried the following? Coil the excess as you would a cable, reach through the coil and grasp the standing part of the rope near the cleat, drop the coil onto the standing part, pull a loop through the coil and hook this over the cleat.

This works much better than it reads; trust me!

I quite agree with Andrew...that method works a treat!

David

Possibly off:

If in referring to lifting you are thinking about hauling, the load is being pulled(typically close to vertically) downwards. This is very different to carrying a load.

The figures that have been used for hauling on lines are between 30 and 50 kgs for an average adult male, for example; bear in mind you are using body weight to its best advantage when pulling down.

It is generally the repetition of the task and combination of actions that causes MSDs. As the guidance states, the figures for lifting and carrying (in the now infamous chart) should not be used without reading the accompanying text which explains how the illustration can be used.

Pulling up (as in rigging a motor) is very different and 25 - 35 kgs is probably a sensible figure; one to which the Manual Handling Guidance could be reasonably applied.

As I probably don't need to say, avoid lifting or hauling weights as much as possible. I was with a flyman in the West End last week who had done the same cues for 11 years - now has a shoulder that needs surgery..... :

25kg would appear to be the maximum for a weight carried by a man at knuckle height by the side of his body.

The guidance is actually for a load carried in front of the body, in both hands. To carry at the side would require the use of one hand only and would introduce an imbalance which would require the person to apply a sideways force to counteract the tendency to lean towards the load. That is not good for your back.

25kg would appear to be the maximum for a weight carried by a man at knuckle height by the side of his body.

The guidance is actually for a load carried in front of the body, in both hands. To carry at the side would require the use of one hand only and would introduce an imbalance which would require the person to apply a sideways force to counteract the tendency to lean towards the load. That is not good for your back.

Or 12.5kg in each hand <_<

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty much the same, really. On the rare occasion that I find myself having to tie off a hemp line, it just gets a figure of 8 around the cleat, then another with a twisty-loopy-bit in the top (there's probably a very technical name for that!). If it's under a particularly heavy load, it'll get another twisty-loopy-bit on another figure of 8.

To get awfully nautical for a second

A spinnaker implies more load on a smaller cleat that a bar of silhouettes on a fly-bar.

If tying off to a cleat one should do a full turn before the figure of eights

(checking that you've started so that the load is implied along the long axis of the cleat)

Finally the half/locking hitch

Yours Brixton (yo-ho)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived