How much is that MagicQ??

jona1984

I may just be being dense, but I've looked all over Chamsys' site for desk pricing and I can't seem to find any anywhere, or links to retailers.....

Anyone have any ideas?! (I don't know why manufacturers don't like putting £££s up online - probably to limit the 'HOW MUCH?!' factor.....)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on which console/wing your looking at..

But, to be honest.. the price they will put on their websites etc or the prices people may tell you on here; will differ completely to when you phone them up.

Chamsys in particular are an extremely helpful company, if you pop an email or a call over; they'll come back to you pretty quickly with a really good price which usually will include a nice discount. There's no point being scared of them, just give them a shout and they'll sort you out. I'm not even 100% sure they sell through retailers yet!

Thanks,

Aaron

I had come across Chamsys via working in Denmark, quite liked the look of the thing being a old Hog 2 user. 3 years ago it became annoyingly obvious for some upcoming work, having my own desk was going to be useful, so I had been pricing up PC Hog programming and playback wings. A friend in the UK pestered me a bit to look at Chamsys, so found out the Polish dealer was nearby in Kraków booked a training lesson. That went very well, most impressed with the chaps pitch to use the system and then noticed a Maxi-Wing in the corner, he told me the price I walked out with it there and then. That wing was about 2,800 UK pounds in PL, things like this are generally more expensive over here. I have not come across anything that is this good at the price to be honest. Give them a call, nice bunch of people.

Unfortunately, you've not filled in your profile on here, so I've no idea where in the world you are!

If you click onto our contact page (http://chamsys.co.uk/contact), you can look up your local distributor for your country and get in contact with them. If you're in the UK, contact Tony Cameron, our sales manager, whose number is available on that page.

That's great guys, thanks for all the input. I'm not sure what our budget is yet or what we actually need, but I will have a look on the site mentioned and then perhaps give the lovely people at Chamsys a ring.

Oh yes and I am in the UK! :) Should update my profile...

Thanks!

Thanks - I think for now we would probably look towards getting a touchscreen laptop (Something like a Toughbook) and maybe Chamsys software running via one of their USB to DMX solutions - does anybody know if it's possible to run multiple universes by using more than one of these USB dongles?? Or splitting the single output to two DMX lines via a Y-split cable?

You can only use one MagicDMX interface per system, it's a low cost way for people to be able to try the software before committing to the full hardware that allows you more universes. Also in line with accepted practice on DMX, probably not the best idea to just Y split it but instead use a proper splitter like the one linked.

Ah yes, no I'm aware Y-splitting a single universe doesn't give you two, but I know that the Avo desks that we have (for instance) output two universes through a single 5-pin DMX output which we then Y-split so I was just wondering if the same was true of this interface. As it is, we can probably condense our rig to run most of our lights on a single universe, but it'd be good to phyisically split the data into two lines to go to our two trusses - might need to buy one of these 'buffered isolated splitters' as linked to do this...

Anyway, I've just purchased one of the £10 Chamsys USB to DMX interfaces for trial purposes so will let you know how we get on! :-)

While I'm here and using people as Google :) can I just ask - is it possible to use external controllers with the Chamsys software? Such as MIDI controllers etc.... Does anybody have any favourites? I personally own a Korg Nanokontrol and a Behringer BCF2000 that I was thinking of re-purposing.... Or just making my own!

Ah yes, no I'm aware Y-splitting a single universe doesn't give you two, but I know that the Avo desks that we have (for instance) output two universes through a single 5-pin DMX output which we then Y-split

The old Avo desks deliberately made use of the the empty pins to throw two universes down a single line to save cabling but it is not something that will automatically happen elsewhere. Technically you are not y-splitting. I suppose more correctly it might be a break-out where the 5-pin is a multi-pin connector. Newer Avo consoles have separate outputs for compatibility.

Archived