help please

lukeyboi30

I'd like some sky-hooks please, in pink. And also a little imp which follows me around dispensing chocolate.

okay, sarcasm mode off.

£200 will just about buy you a new lamp for a moving head with those features.

With that budget I would hunt on ebay for some DJ kit or cash converters. Scanners are more likely to be in your price range rather than moving heads. But I would say that the response you are most likely to get to that questions is this one:

" No you don't"

I think with your budget you will have to compromise. £200 won't get you anything with a prism, and probably no gobo rotation. Battered Mini Mac Profiles start at around £250 used. Like WiLL said, scanners may be a better place to start, but then prisms are only found on higher end ones (Roboscan 518 / 918, Mini Scan HPE etc). You may be able to find some 'no name' units, but your budget is a problem.

From his other thread on the same subject...

What do you want to do with them?

just homeuse and I could maybe take them into school for productions etc as they have 2 robe movers already but I will be using them for mainley home use :)

what do u think ??

Depends, what do you want to use them for ?

That seems to be the first question here - there's a lot of different moving heads, they all suit different uses.

just at home and possibly in school once in a while but mainly at home :)

hi everyone I was looking at these moving heads an wondered if I should get them as they are a good price

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_mhx25_led_spot_moving_head.htm

plz let me know thanks :)

£208 is a bloomin' good price for a moving head of any flavour! I got two MH-250S's (basically the 250w halogen version) for that money about the time they came out a few years back and price has gone up since.

For messing about at home, if you're learning about DMX and how lights move / respond etc for example, then you ain't gonna do better at that price - great advantage being low power consumption and lack of high temperatures.

As for using at school, I'd forget theatrical type use, as even a couple of generics (fresnels etc) will wash them out and you will be horribly disapointed with the result (I've been there!)

If it's for a school disco/talent show where there won't be much ambient or general wash light, then they will be OK for a bit of light/colour/pattern movement, especially with haze.

Mobile disco use, yeah great!

I dont agree. Actually a visualiser is kind of okay except you dont see the real lights actually move. For myself have a look around at what come on the market. You might be able to pick up some simplish movers to give the full experience on your budget.

I started in my bedroom with 2x Acme I MOVE 5's - And occasionaly took them out on my ''disco's'' ... They were quite cheap - £250 a head I think was the list price about 6-7 Years ago.

Here is the manufacturer - Prolight Concepts.

Looking at the website they still have to have the same sort of fixtures, bigger and better and also some models similar to my old 1's but with an LED source.

And just to add, I think hands on experience other than using visualisation softwear is the best learning method.. in my opinion. I learnt so much about DMX control and programming on a really cheep 20ch controller.

Hope this helps,

Archived