Lantern rewiring

mikelx

Assuming you are competent to do this rewiring? Then without a doubt you should refer or google the details on the lanterns you wish to rewire.

You will learn that the lantern will almost certainly be wired with a heat resistant type cable. The cable you choose to rewire the units should have exactly the same characteristics or properties (or perhaps better if these lanterns are not in the first flush of youth) as the cable you are replacing. Silicone is one example that springs to mind but doubtless there are others...you do the google thing.

There will be details on how this should be accomplished. Please note too that it may be that the lamp holder has to be re-sited or re-aligned following physical removal.

New Lamp bases -> Ceramic terminal block -> High Temp silicone incoming cable with Fibreglass sleeving to protect from mechanical damage-> High temp Cable gland of an appropriate size.

Oh and if you need to crimp on a new lug for the earth, make sure you remove the plastic off the lug (A decent pair of side cutters can do this) Otherwise you may find you have a molten pool of plastic inside your fixture.

And if you find any screws that look knackered, replace them.

I forgot to stress that you find a High Temp cable gland or something that will cope with the heat. I've seen quite a few that looked fine from the outside, but on the inside was a brittle, warped, slightly molten mess of what was a cable gland nut.

(I buy a lot of 2nd hand fixtures, and clean them up for use as Hire stock)

He asked for our opinion on the best heat resistant cable - can't see a problem with that myself?

If I'd asked a similar question when I was looking for 5 core 63A cable last week, I'd probably have got something a bit more soft and flexible that thick and tough.

• 2 years later...

I didn't want to start a new thread after finding so many similar related ones so chose this one to add my little question to...

My Googling and BR searching has left me unfulfilled in my hunt for pricing for 0.75mm or 1.00mm 3 core silicone cable. The only price I've found is for 0.75mm from RS but I've not got an account with them.

The reason I'm looking for thinner cores rather than just using the 1.5mm silicone I've already got is quite simply that the 1.5 is a little fat and awkward so I'm after a cable with a smaller OD to make it easier to work with. Even the 0.75mm is plenty big enough current-wise.

Presumably it exists if RS list it, but any other ideas BR?

do you need a credit account for RS any more? I bought some stuff from them a few months ago simply using my debit card online. I certainly don't do enough business with them to make an account worthwhile, but I paid my £30 or whatever it was (not much in the scheme of things) and got my goods by return more or less.

do you need a credit account for RS any more? I bought some stuff from them a few months ago simply using my debit card online. I certainly don't do enough business with them to make an account worthwhile, but I paid my £30 or whatever it was (not much in the scheme of things) and got my goods by return more or less.

Nope. The days of RS being strictly trade only are long gone. They'll take CC order over the net from anybody who wishes to place an order.

I'd completely forgotten that! Thanks guys. Cable ordered, quite reasonable price knowing how sky high RS used to be, and with free delivery.

And thanks for the Conrad link Hippy, never used them before, unfortunately RS were cheaper.

Archived