AV wireless sender.

ojc123

For an upcoming event I need to send CCTV (inc audio) to another building. The buildings are 20m apart. There are windows facing each other. I am looking at one of these as an easy way to get the signal across the gap. We'd put in composite video out and then take the output to an installed screen.

Absolute quality is not important as it's only for cueing purposes really.

Am I looking at the right thing or is there a different solution in the same price bracket?

Thanks for your help.

No way to throw a rope out each window, tie them together at ground level and then haul a cable across? A bit of cat5 with baluns would probably do the trick nicely, and be a darn sight more reliable.

If you do go for the AV sender option, at least you've picked 5.8g, that has a chance of working unlike the 2.4g options... :)

No way to throw a rope out each window, tie them together at ground level and then haul a cable across? A bit of cat5 with baluns would probably do the trick nicely, and be a darn sight more reliable.

If you do go for the AV sender option, at least you've picked 5.8g, that has a chance of working unlike the 2.4g options... :)

I've done the cable thing in the past but each time I've to install and take it out. I've just used some half-like cable without the baluns. I'm not in a position to fix a permanent cable so I was looking for a less invasive way of transferring the signal. I take it from your comments that these are not a particularly good idea.

They can work, and the 5.8g are much better than the 2.4g variants, but my experience has not been particularly great with them. Maybe if you get them in such a way that you can return them if unsuitable, and early enough that you can try them out, it might be a good idea? :)

I wonder what sort of antenna connectors are on those senders? Sticking something with a bit of gain on the tx would be naughty, but on the rx would be OK. In this particular case, we're not looking for increased range, just a bit of directionality.

Hi ojc123

I've done something similar like you discribe but be careful as I found that through the glass it was not to successful but with the windows open was great.

And as we were on a second floor no problem with security.

In the end though, like david said, we then went to a CAT5 cable run (nearly 200 feet around the building) this was very successful, and in the depths of winter windows being open was not an option.

Cheers

PJ

Archived