New Sennheiser XS Wireless range

Matt Riley

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the new Sennheiser XS series wireless that were released at NAMM? See here for more details. I'm in the market for an inexpensive new lavalier mic system to replace an ageing and dropout prone AKG WMS system, and this looks like it might distract me away from my current plan to replace it with a freeport system.

Especially interesting would be the RRP of it.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Freeports are the same internals as the Trantec s4 series, and many were made by Trantec.

Hi,

I heard that the Freeport and the S4.4 are both made by Toa!?

The Sennheiser XS wireless series prices (ex VAT) are...

XSW 35 Vocal set (dynamic handheld) £305.00

XSW 72 Instrument set £305.00

XSW 12 Presenter set £305.00

XSW 65 Vocal set (condenser handheld) £347.00

XSW 52 Headmic £347.00

They are built by Sennheiser. I have some coming next week so will blog what they are like.

Gaz

Trantec have history for making systems for others. They used to make the Shure VHF systems, fitting SM58 heads to their transmitter boards. They also used to sell the under their own name, but when Shure started making their own, they stopped Trantec buying the 'ends'. For a while you could still get them if you bought an SM58 to give to them as a donor.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Sennheiser will have some at Plasafocus to play with. At this price they seem almost too good to be true, but we need something to replace our old ch69 stuff and as it's for amdram use, cheap is good!

Can't seem to find any ADU for it though, or is it just me?

To anyone who's used the Sennheiser XS - how does it compare to the EW range?

I've searched this forum and others for full reviews (not speculation based on spec sheets) but found none.

I'm particularily interested in the following comparisons.

XSW 12 vs. EW112 G3

XSW 35 vs. EW135 G3

XSW 65 vs. EW165 G3

One dealer has told me these will sound identical to one another as the capsules are the same.

The XSW 12 is £299 vs the EW112 G3 at £519

I understand the functional differences - I'm interested to hear about reliability, signal strength and sound quality.

Background:

At the church I volunteer at we currently use G1 and G2 EW100 range lavalier and hand held microphones. The G1s are pretty worn out, the G2s are in use 4 times a week and have been very reliable. Currently we have Ch 70 mics in a church hall and Ch 69 mics in the main church building. With DSO we'll be looking to purchase Ch 38 equipment. I'm aware of Line 6 / Shure / Trantec equipment but don't want this thread to go off in these directions - I've looked at them all and there are reasons I'd like to stick with Sennheiser (commonality of spare lav and head mics for example).

I'm going to try and demo the XS in a shop, but that's not the same as using them properly in a venue.

Thanks,

Alan

Moderation: This new topic was started while the other Sennheiser XS topic was active - so I merged them together. Paul

One dealer has told me these will sound identical to one another as the capsules are the same.

There's rather more to it than that. The sound quality also has quite a lot to do with the preamp and compander circuity. I've not seen an in the flesh XS yet so I can't comment but I do know that the EW100/300/500 series are basically identical in terms of RF performance and the cost difference is market segmentation to do with the number of programmable presets and if it has an Ethernet port or not. The Freeport series are an entirely different design.

It's going to depend on if the XS is the same design as the Evolution G3 but with the switching bandwidth reduced artificially and the pilot tone squelch removed or if it's an entirely different design.

Archived