Need help spec'ing a desk

willdart666

A local pub to me has just started putting on bands and they've asked me to help them improve their lighting situation. One of those "Oh you're a lighting guy? Let me tell you what I need!". :blink:

Someone's already installed (badly) some disco gear but it all needs moving and they don't really do much disco anymore and need their lights to suit the live nights.

The landlady hasn't mentioned budget but would like to keep it cheap and I don't think that's unreasonable given that it's just a pub. In terms of fixtures, I've suggested just a load of LED Pars would be her best bet. Low power, easy to use and low maintenance. I've suggested 3 for the front light and I reckon either 6 or 8 for the back.

It's most likely going to be these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_64_alu_schwarz.htm. So 5 channel per fixture.

My only issue is a low budget controller that will give her enough channels to control them individually, program some very basic chases into and be easy enough to use that the sound guy can just push a button or fader when he feels like and not break it.

She's quite a visionary when it comes to what she wants so a desk with the capacity to add a couple of basic movers or effects to at a later date would be nice.

Any help and suggestions with this would be great!

There's also been some talk of mounting some downlighters upside down in the front of the stage but that's a worry for another day. :unsure:

Thanks all!

have a look at Lanta LED Par's & controller. great value for money

Moderation: Blue Room rules do allow members to link to products they sell in response to questions like these - so I've added in the link for ProtecAV's products.

ProtecAV's web site

which is fine,. however, I didn't say buy those items from me. I was only highlighting the options available

Moderation: Nevertheless, this sticky, which discusses what is and is not allowed for businesses posting on the Blue Room, states: "The most important rule is that members should know that you work for/represent a company which is involved in making or selling the product you are discussing." Your post did not follow that rule, hence the moderation.

Moderation: Blue Room rules do allow members to link to products they sell in response to questions like these - so I've added in the link for ProtecAV's products

I must remember that, I knew we were allowed to mention products that we sell as long as we disclosed it... didn't know I could link to pages that sell em ;)

which is fine,. however, I didn't say buy those items from me. I was only highlighting the options available

It's all about transparency I think... I will recommend products that I sell / work for companies who sell, but will disclose any association just to avoid any accusation of bias.

The idea is that when somebody can offer a solution, they're free to promote it in a responsible way. Indeed, in some circumstances if somebody said anyone know who sells XZY and how much they are, it would be fine to say we do, and either say the the price is£X, or link to their web site. However - it would NOT be ok to say they would beat any other quotes, or undercut somebody else. We realise list prices are rarely what things go for, but if deals are done off forum, it's not our business. However if we feel people are using the forum as a selling platform - we don't like it.

Rossmck is dead right - if you recommend a company, that turns out to be yourself, then that's a bit sneaky. Promoting a third party is fine, but if the third party is yourself, that is not on.I had never heard of Lanta LEDs, so I googled it and guess what - there was ProtecAV. I'd have thought it better to have said "we sell a brand called Lanta, which might be useful...." Not recommend it as good value for money when you have an obvious financial interest. Getting a bit narked and defensive could perhaps of been handled a bit better - maybe even the use of "sorry, didn't realise people didn't know I was talking about my own products".

The rules are a fudge. We didn't allow advertising in any form, but we softened a little and the current system, while a bit wishy-washy does seem to be what the majority of members approve of.

Frankly - I'm a bit amazed with protecAVs attitude. It was me who added the link to his site - rather than winge like an old woman, I rather thought he could have said thanks. Still, no pleasing some people.

I shouldn't really have bitten here, but just recently the mods have had a heavy time with complaining people, and my patience has run out. Next time I'll just remove the post - which perhaps I should just have done.

If people don't like the Blue Room rules, then don't post! There - I've said it.

Paul

Ok then point taken, & I will say thank you for pointing out whats allowed/ & not allowed. However, you comment "old woman" doesn't help matters at all. In fact, it's downright rude. Why you see fit make such an accusation is beyond me, & really you should consider your thoughts before writing in future. As a moderator? your standards ought to be higher than what you have demonstrated. Which is immature this time

I will remember what I have to mention in future if talking about an item that I do supply.

Ok then point taken, & I will say thank you for pointing out whats allowed/ & not allowed. However, you comment "old woman" doesn't help matters at all. In fact, it's downright rude. Why you see fit make such an accusation is beyond me, & really you should consider your thoughts before writing in future. As a moderator? your standards ought to be higher than what you have demonstrated. Which is immature this time

I will remember what I have to mention in future if talking about an item that I do supply.

Give Paul some slack - They take on a lot of responsibility and do an amazing job here on the BR maintaining a fairly high signal to noise ratio. We are all only human and need to vent occasionally, he event mentioned that under normal conditions he wouldn't have 'bitten'

Martin freekie type controllers will do the trick, chinese knock off's are a pain to get personality files for rendering them useless for movers, both are irritating to program but great for just playing back looks.

Next step up is a cheap pc installed into sound booth with either entec or chamsys.

Can either add a wing or install a $100 ebay touch screen (who cares if it gets trashed after 6 months, just buy another screen). Can customise the screen for playback.

Any LED desk such as the Showtec LED Commander is ideal for your application in the pub. Wall mounted gets it out of the way. Have a read of the manual and there is another recent post covering these desks. You can use a single channel DMX dimmer on an auxilary fader to give you control over a mirror ball or you may have DMX controlled smoke machines.

You can use a dimmer rack as one of the fixtures to give you 8 channels of control. You can program scenes and chases or use led bar lights with preprograms. The desk display allows you to select DMX values which is hard to do with other desks.

The install I helped with recently had a Showtec LED Commander, six RGB led's as front lights to be assigned to vocals etc. Two RGB leds backstage centre as focussable backlights, two led strips with built in programs as backlights, mounted horizontaly, a single channel PlanetOne dimmer in switch mode for mirror ball and pin spots running off one of the auxilary faders. The desk has scenes, chases programed into it and is run by the sound operator due to low budgets.

If control won't be used, why would I be asking at all? ;)

That Showtec looks pretty on the money. 8 fixtures is a bit lame but not the end of the world, can always pair a couple of address'. Also, I hadn't thought about the audio input option so that'll be good if the sound guy does have a breakdown or they want the LED's to just work themselves on the odd disco.

I don't really know what she had in mind for movers and what not, but the venue isn't really big enough and they're a lot to think about, especially when in 2 weeks time she'll just be more concerned with the bar again. She does have some moving disco scanners and that kind of rubbish but it's not really ideal for live music.

Cheers guys!

Archived