Black Tack

tonythetechie

Just got a quick query as to if anyone has heard of black tack?

We need something to hold down a carpet during a show but the problem is we are touring 2 shows using the same base set. One of the shows has a carpet laid on to the flooring which is made of stained wood.

We are trying to find something to hold the carpet down but also will allow us to easily remove it leaving no residue on the flooring.

The designer has suggested 'Black Tack' but doesn't know where to get it from and after doing several Google searches I can't find anything resembling it.

Can anyone help me please? :)

Tony

Black Tak is a high temperature tape that tends to be used for masking light leaks on lanterns - it doesn't burn as well as gaffa tape!

Try looking for Removable Carpet Tape which doesn't leave a residue. Directa sell it but depending upon how much you need you might be able to find it in your local carpet shop.

Directa - 01621 828882 or www.directa.co.uk

There is also a product which is like Blue Tack, but is black and much stronger. Gets used for sticking down dressing props. I've often heard this referred to as Black Tack, tough I don't know if this is a formal name or if it would be suitable for sticking down a carpet.

There is also a product which is like Blue Tack, but is black and much stronger. Gets used for sticking down dressing props. I've often heard this referred to as Black Tack, tough I don't know if this is a formal name or if it would be suitable for sticking down a carpet.

yup - blacktack and whitetack just as described, available from Flint Hire and Supply in London. They have a website and on-line shop.

also name (but spelling is different, I think) of black metal heat-resistant adhesive foil as described above. I get mine from Directa.This is not a good or economic way of fixing carpets.

Neither would be my first choice for carpet laying.

If the stage floor is black and you don't need to see the absolute edge of the carpet, using normal gaffer to hold the carpet in place can be acceptable. the carpet looks about 2" smaller... If you need to butt two pieces of carpet together, or have to see the pattern right to the edge, or are laying over a non-black stage floor, double sided tape is best.

if going for double-sided tape, make sure you get a low tack version, as the really sticky versions are a real pain to clean off any surfaces. "Expo Tape" as approved by the National Exhibiton Centre in Birmingham is good, also available from Flints. And no, I have no interest in the company other than as a customer....

If you need a good strong finish you could lay down low tack gaffa first then put strong double sided tape on top. This is what we ask set companies to do at our venue.

Takes a bit longer to do but is easy to remove.

Orchytech

yup - blacktack and whitetack just as described, available from Flint Hire and Supply in London. They have a website and on-line shop.

also name (but spelling is different, I think) of black metal heat-resistant adhesive foil as described above. I get mine from Directa.This is not a good or economic way of fixing carpets.

Neither would be my first choice for carpet laying.

If the stage floor is black and you don't need to see the absolute edge of the carpet, using normal gaffer to hold the carpet in place can be acceptable. the carpet looks about 2" smaller... If you need to butt two pieces of carpet together, or have to see the pattern right to the edge, or are laying over a non-black stage floor, double sided tape is best.

if going for double-sided tape, make sure you get a low tack version, as the really sticky versions are a real pain to clean off any surfaces. "Expo Tape" as approved by the National Exhibiton Centre in Birmingham is good, also available from Flints. And no, I have no interest in the company other than as a customer....

It must be said I would have until last night also agreed that the NEC approved stuff is excellent. have never bought it myself but it is toured into us a lot and so ive seen it used a fair bit. However get out last night and carpet is lifted with tape to leave..............................shed loads of residue and the lettering thats written all around. A less than ideal situation as you can imagine. I would hope that it was just a bad roll but from now on Im going to be a bit more wary.

It must be said I would have until last night also agreed that the NEC approved stuff is excellent. have never bought it myself but it is toured into us a lot and so ive seen it used a fair bit. However get out last night and carpet is lifted with tape to leave..............................shed loads of residue and the lettering thats written all around. A less than ideal situation as you can imagine. I would hope that it was just a bad roll but from now on Im going to be a bit more wary.

You have to use it the right way round I believe.

Only one side (designed to go on the stage floor) is low tack, the other is still high tack to stick to the carpet or whatever you are laying.

If I remember correctly, you should be applying the tape to the stage first, then placing the carpet (or what ever) on to it. Not always the way round you want to do things.

I can remember a mate once sticking a carpet down with that silver foil tape that plumbers and gas fitters use.

he did it in the hilton holtel down south, the tape is still there now.

It would not come up!!

** laughs out loud **

makes me giggle just thinking about his face when he went to remove it.

"Its stuck"

"What ya meen its stuck"

Only one side (designed to go on the stage floor) is low tack, the other is still high tack to stick to the carpet or whatever you are laying.

If I remember correctly, you should be applying the tape to the stage first, then placing the carpet (or what ever) on to it. Not always the way round you want to do things.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, I wasnt really watching as it was going down, from now on I will be there from the minute the roll comes out of the bag...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, I wasnt really watching as it was going down, from now on I will be there from the minute the roll comes out of the bag...

You know what, that would explain why my brand new venue has tape residue all over the floor from its first exhibition (before my tenure, I hasten to add). Since then I've required contractors to use lo-tack clear "Exhibition Tape", which has worked a treat. Perhaps I'll let them trial some green NEC in future!

Archived