Looking for flat-panel/NXT speakers

Solstace

Hi everyone!

I've been trawling Google for options on flat-panel speakers that can either be wall or ceiling-mounted. I've not had a terribly good experience with them in the past, but I've found a situation in my building for which I think such a device really would be the best solution, assuming that the audio output is of sufficient quality. Essentially it needs to equal or better a JBL Control-1 or similar from a frequency perspective, used for speech or very light music playback. The intention is for church-service/conference/show relay, in a low-ceiling'd room that regularly fills with lots of people. Assuming the dispersion works as it says on the tin I think they *could* prove a far more effective system than conventional boxes or inlayed ceiling speakers.

I've got a product in mind, the Armstrong CS4500 (linked PDF here) which seems to fit the bill, but I'm not having much luck arranging a demo, or getting anything from a real human, it seems.

Anyone know of any similar products coming from known-good brands? Anyone have some they're happy with? Anyone have some that they'd let me come along and hear with some speech/CD/iPod music if it's within the M25?

Outside the M25 I'm afraid, but we have what were Fane Minpros and should have some micropros too (not seen them for a while!).

Dispersion is different, they sound different too, but are usuable. The ceiling tile version is a little pricey but visually superb!

Someone was trying to market a near-field speaker system for marquees that might have done what you wish but forgotten the links and they were expensive.

These; http://redsquareaudio.co.uk/products/feonic/ may not be suitable either but I have seen them in use at shows and they have distinct advantages as they can be "unglued" and moved to new positions, uses.

Try:

SoundLeisure Retail

They are outside the M25, but you could probably arrange a demo with a passing rep.

I have had good experiences with their flat panel speakers, not the tiles but I have no reason to believe that they'll be any different. They equally aren't too pricey, and I have had them build slightly odd ball one offs in the past with an incredibly small extra feeon the end.

If you ring them ask to speak to Chris or Alan Black.

Thanks Matt.

Looks a lot like they do the current versions of the Fane panels mentioned earlier in the thread. Looks like they'll be getting a call sometime in the near future.

Anyone else have any more?

Feonic are in the unit next door to me and we've had a play with some of their devices. They are good for oddball gadgety applications like putting sound out through shop windows, but I wouldn't use them unless it's a situation where you cannot use a proper speaker.

Sound Leisure DUO could be a solution if the roof is not panneled - check and listen to what they offer... My experience is from using the NXT Fane Panels without the amps. Frequency range must be cut to above 100/120Hz or add a bass speaker as SL offers. Usage in conference type work: audience response: used as mid/rear audience fill was very effective (many odd looks at the antenas !!); as the only system useable in square shaped rooms, too much gain was needed in long rooms and feedback could become a problem since the sound is emitted from a dipole and a change of angle of a panel changes the system response, distribution and feedback filters - so just another tool... I suggested the DUO since because the dipoles could be spread discretely along the walls - I suspect that you would then need to study the phase relationship between neighbouring units. (Edit: keylosses and clarity)

Archived