Comparing CPC and Farnell

Pete Alcock

I blasted CPC yesterday because the 16/32A plugs they sell as the "Walther" make in the Catalogue, are not in fact manufactured by Walther - they are CPC's own cheapie brand.

CPC explained that they'd changed supplier, yet I could still get the real deal from Farnell. So a phone call and 18 hours later I'm the proud owner of a colossal Farnel catalogue.

First impressions are they they're quite a bit dearer than CPC which seems strange given that they're the same company.

Anyone else had experience of this? Is it a generally know fact (like that RS are very efficient but costly), about Farnell?

Just interested...

Pete.

Do you have a corporate account with them? It's been a loooong time since I used Farnell, but I seem to remember that the standard discount we got from them was higher than CPC. So although the catalogue prices were higher, the real difference was less....

But I could be wrong :)

Bruce.

Yes they are dearer than CPC but the service is better. Also, they carry a lot more components than CPC.

Discount is only something big spenders get. Usually based on a retrospective discount based on purchases.

I gave up Farnell a long time back when they b*ggered about with their catalogue, put resistors in a section called "Passive Components" or some such madness. I just couldn't find a thing!

Used RS for years until I found CPC who do most of what I want, usually cheaper and normally at the same, or at least at acceptable, quality.

I find that normally their standard delivery, is quicker than "next day".

Their accounts dept. however...

We mainly use CPC. We used to use RS a lot, but now only use them if it's something that CPC doesn't carry, or if we need it same day - RS have a depot about 5 minutes walk from here.

Apart from the discount, the nice thing about having a corporate account with them is that there is no postage charge or minimum order, and delivery here is usually between 10 and 11 the next day. Effectively, it means we don't need to carry the same level of stock - CPC is used as an "extension to the storeroom".

Bruce.

I used to live quite close to cpc, which made collection quicker and easier, and it is rather a LARGE single depot and very useful when its on your doorstep. Very rarely are they out of any stock, in my experience. I am currently at a venue without accounts at any supplier like this, which would be the best to go for, as we are looking into setting one up soon?

CPC was always cheaper for me as a friend is one of thier buyers and their staff get a not inconsiderable discount (cost plus 4% or something stupid like that) yes I know that's cheating but its a great way to buy your gear!

Farnell own CPC. But they still maintain the two catalogues for the moment.

(It's a bit like saying B&Q and Screwfix are the same. They have the same owners, but different pricing....)

There's also a thing called "onecall" - which is what education & government deal with. A combination of CPC, Farnell and someone else - a chemical lab supplier. Onecall.farnell.com

Bruce.

Archived