Multicores

chippy2710

I ordered a 30m one a year or so ago, and it came coiled into a coil of radius approx 30cm! Took me 2 hours and running it around half the house to get it un-kinked and recoiled into a usable state.

Ditto. It's not just that it's coiled so tightly, but its coiled as though it were on a drum but without the drum, so it is a pain to unwind to get the cable straight.

I've got 100m of mic cable from Farnell that has arrived the same way, coiled as a drum but drumless. When I undo the four bits of string holding it together, it is going to be a pain in the ass. I'm contemplating trying to split a drum to put this mic cable on to reduce the pain quotient...

No, it's fine didn't think you were being harsh. I would much rather someone gave me the truth rather than a half bake answer on how to bodge it. It was my understanding of SOCA that failed me. Fed some bad information but never mind.

I wonder if this is because of confusion over the word Socapex... Socapex is the name of a connector, not a cable type. There are many different types of Socapex connector, not just the common 19 pin ones used for lighting power, and many of them would be suitable, in conjunction with a suitable cable, for use in an audio multicore application.

37-pin socapex connectors specifically used to be popular for lighting control and audio multicores (with different cable used)

I knew Socapex was the connector I didn't know you could get any other than 19 pin socapex (I've only been doing lighting for around 6 months) to go for any other type I may as well just buy a multicore as the soca I can get my hands on is standard 19 pin listing soca. I guess when I think about why the answer is no it seems quite obvious. I just didn't think about it.

Slightly off topic, but I now have the answer to all the multicore un-coiling problems - Underfloor heating!

Lay out the coiled cable on the kitchen floor - open a beer (oe two) - go to bed - get up the following day and straighten it after breakfast!

Just got 3 more 20 metre multicores to straighten...............................................

** laughs out loud **

On a similar topic: what "gauge" would you guys suggest to be the minimum? I know "gauge" is maybe not the right word here, but for lack of anything better, I use it. I mean for one channel, the diameter of one cable, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm? To be sturdy? I have a small thomann multicore and the single cables are rather thin, at most 3 mm. I take care of it very well, so nothing's broken yet. If I get a new one, what should I pay attention to?

Thanks,

Norbert

My tip for looking after multicores with no drum is to coil them in a figure of eight. You are effectively coiling them in a straight line and no twisting will build up in the multi. Then store them ina flightcase or carry them carefully over your shoulder. You will get years of life out of your multi.

Graham

When packing away, untangle the tails and put them in a cloth bag. Cable tie it shut with the cable tie sitting over the cable jacket. That should protect the thin cable of the tails well enough.

Archived