Multicores

chippy2710

I am currently making a P.A system for myself and on the topic of multicores. I would like 12 channels of XLR as my mixer has 12 channels of XLR. Is this possible with soca? I have access to loads of socapex and why buy miles of copper when you already have it. Can you still only use 6 (although I have heard rumours o being able to get 8?) I would also want to be able to send a signal (or 3) back to the stage for monitoring. Any advice would be appreciated,

Cheers

Dan

Can you still only use 6 (although I have heard rumours o being able to get 8?)

That would be a heavy old multi as well using soca. As for getting 8 channels - if for lighting/ mains power purposes - only if you do dubious things to the earthing arrangement. Not reccomended.

In my impecunious youth we used a 50m chunk of "ordinary" multicore cable (ie non-twisted) and it worked well enough. 36 core cable, 16 mic channels.

I'm not saying I'd reccomend it, but it worked.

I even have photographic evidence, complete with garden hose reel:

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/non_tp_multicore.jpg

In my impecunious youth we used a 50m chunk of "ordinary" multicore cable (ie non-twisted) and it worked well enough.

To be fair, I bet there are a lot more sources of potential interference around nowadays. The problem with any such arrangement is that you have no idea when something will pop up and cause problems.

My first one was thanks to the BBC installers who left loads behind when they cabled a venue I worked at with their BBC spec beige coloured 7 pair stuff - I never worked out why you'd want 7 circuits - I suspect it's so they could use a particular kind of connector?

No, it's fine didn't think you were being harsh. I would much rather someone gave me the truth rather than a half bake answer on how to bodge it. It was my understanding of SOCA that failed me. Fed some bad information but never mind.

Well in that case any suggestions for a cheap good quality multicore. I know you get what you pay for but that doesn't mean there isn't a bargain to be had.

and have the space to unwind them from the box.

I ordered a 30m one a year or so ago, and it came coiled into a coil of radius approx 30cm! Took me 2 hours and running it around half the house to get it un-kinked and recoiled into a usable state. They are very cheap, and it has never let me down yet, but it did p!ss me off when it arrived! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Not a particularly useful suggestion during the UK winter, but...

On a hot summer day, laying out the cable on a sun-warmed paved driveway greatly speeds the de-kinking process. My 30M multi has never been so easy to handle as since I moved to Queensland...

I would have done mine outside, but it was a drizzly November day, so that was a non-starter!

I'm not sure that the cordial cases they sell with them are worth it, I've seen some pretty innovative ways of using a Stanley tool chest to store and transport.

Archived