Stage pickup mics

gotty

Hijacking this thread slightly, but has anyone had any experience of the Red5 Audio hanging mics (Model code RV85) as an alternative to the CPC ones? Link

I have used Red5 kit before with reasonable success, and at £36 each, or £49 a pair these mics look to be a bargin if they are any good. They could be a possible alternative mic for the OP if his budget is really stretched too.

Thanks

Hijacking this thread slightly, but has anyone had any experience of the Red5 Audio hanging mics (Model code RV85) as an alternative to the CPC ones? Link

iv got a pair, had some success with them for choirs and comedy improv groups. They certainly work, but having not used the CPC ones I cant tell you which is better/give direct comparison

The CPC ones look like short shotgun mics so they'll pick up less from the sides. The Red5 ones look like cardioid or hyper cardioid so they'll have a wider pickup pattern.

James.

The CPC ones look like short shotgun mics so they'll pick up less from the sides. The Red5 ones look like cardioid or hyper cardioid so they'll have a wider pickup pattern.

James.

The Red5 website gives a link to a datasheet which shows a cardioid polar pattern. datasheet

Personally I'd hire to get the right mic for the job. I've always sworn by the Beyer MCE 86 if you need good feedback resilience, particularly on speech. Otherwise a bunch of hanging Audio Technica PRO45s can get you close to the action and can be hired fairly cheaply. I've rarely found boundary mics in any way satisfactory for reinforcement: too much ambient noise (particularly knocks on the stage) and inclined to feedback. I know that as a school it's often easier to buy than hire every year, but I would strongly advise you to try and develop the hire culture as what is right for one show may well not be for the next.

Archived