Netbooks

sameness

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a netbook for use with audio systems. Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be using a variety of programs such as Soundweb, Peavey Media-Matrix, Dragnet, YSM and Smaart. I've browsed around but I'd prefer knowing what others are using before getting one and finding it isnt suitable

Thanks

The Smaart website says:

Operating System: Microsoft XP, Vista or Windows 7 (32 & 64 - bit)

CPU: 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Processor or faster (or compatible)

RAM: 2 GB or greater

Video: Graphics processor with 128 M dedicated video RAM, minimum 1024 x 600 pixel display

Sound Hardware: Audio Hardware with OS compatible ASIO, Wav/WDM drivers.

So - not a netbook. That's a proper laptop CPU. I suspect many of the other applications are the same.

The Smaart website says:

Operating System: Microsoft XP, Vista or Windows 7 (32 & 64 - bit)

CPU: 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Processor or faster (or compatible)

RAM: 2 GB or greater

Video: Graphics processor with 128 M dedicated video RAM, minimum 1024 x 600 pixel display

Sound Hardware: Audio Hardware with OS compatible ASIO, Wav/WDM drivers.

So - not a netbook. That's a proper laptop CPU. I suspect many of the other applications are the same.

I have an older version of smaaart so that one isnt a big issue, but thanks.

I have an Acer Aspire One 522 which I use as a 'work' laptop. (I also have a MacBook Pro which I dont want to mess up!) And I have found it to be excellent. The one thing to note is I have put a 4GB SODIMM in it (about £20 from the old eBay) which it really does need.

I've got a Samsung NC10 and I'll be quite frank and say that it is NOT in any way suitable for media intensive tasks. Netbooks are designed for low power consumption for people on the move and while they are perfect for basic browsing and email, their processor is slow compared to a full laptop and will stumble on complicated tasks.

I can't give an opinion on what to get - but do your research first - if your running w7 64 bit to allow use of any extra ram you might stick in it, then make sure the software you want to run on it is 64 bit compatable

Thanks Chaz, I had the same qualms over my MBP. Out of interest what OS are you using? It seems to ship with W7 Starter which only allows 2gb RAM. Im guessing you either upgraded W7 or are using XP.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and it runs like a dream. :)

As a rule netbooks are ok if you only open one progam at a time as there cpu`a are not made to have many progams open as can only handle so much. they run at same speed as a laptop but cant handle it as well.

I use a Dell Latitude D430. It's a old sub-notebook, but with a spec better than a netbook. dual core 1.33MHz CPU with 2 Gig RAM. I use it more for admin type work, and keeping online when away from home, rather than audio work. It is running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit fine. IS a bit slow from a cold boot, but once up and running doesn't lag.

One thing I do like about it, is that you can get them with a mobile broadband card built in (or add one yourself for about £30) and then you just stick a SIM card in, no having a USB dongle sticking out the side or relying on your mobile phone.

Nice and compact laptop, solidly built, and fairly modular for taking apart and repairing.

Also, can be used with a 3 different models of docking station to give more ports, extra drive and a PCI slot.

I use netbooks all the time, but not for show critical applications, they just aren't up to it. They are great for testing networks, as a VGA test source etc being light and portable with a good battery life. Also ideal for a bit of onsite browsing or email (or Blue Room of course)..

Depending on its use, some Acer Aspire One netbooks have solid state drives - Good for ruggedness as they won't be damaged by knocks and bangs like a normal "spinning disc" hard drive will, but have a much smaller capacity (8Gb or 16Gb). Ideal for being used on a train or in the van on the way to a venue to organise the set list, but not great for keeping loads of backing tracks on or recording to, as it soon fills up.

Dell and HP netbooks/laptops are often designed to only accept genuine batteries and chargers, which can be very expensive when the time comes to replace them.

If all you are doing is fairly basic MP3 editing, or recording, then a netbook would suffice. If you are wanting to add effects or processing to any recordings, I would look at spending even just another £50 on a refurbished laptop, for the extra speed and functionality.

Remember: netbooks don't have CD/DVD drives, so an external is about £30. The screen is generally 10.1", not 15,4 or 15.6". The processor is normally only a 1.6GHz Atom, which although is dual core, it's slower than a 1.6GHz single core Pentium.

Most netbooks come with Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter. XP is OK, but 7 Starter can be pretty limited when you try to change any settings. Vista is completely unsuitable for netbooks because it is far too "bulky" and "cumbersome".

For about the same price as a new netbook, you can pick up a decent refurbished laptop which would be far better suited to your needs...

I repair and refurbish laptops and netbooks on a daily basis, so I know their limitations and flaws....

Remember: netbooks don't have CD/DVD drives, so an external is about £30. The screen is generally 10.1", not 15,4 or 15.6". The processor is normally only a 1.6GHz Atom, which although is dual core, it's slower than a 1.6GHz single core Pentium.

Most netbooks come with Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter. XP is OK, but 7 Starter can be pretty limited when you try to change any settings. Vista is completely unsuitable for netbooks because it is far too "bulky" and "cumbersome".

For about the same price as a new netbook, you can pick up a decent refurbished laptop which would be far better suited to your needs...

I repair and refurbish laptops and netbooks on a daily basis, so I know their limitations and flaws....

The common 1.6GHz Atom isn't a dual core chip, it's a single core with Hyperthreading to give 2 threads of processing from 1 CPU. The Asipire One 522 has a real dual core AMD chip, while only 1GHz per core it's very responsive and is happy having 3 or 4 programs open at once.

If you're going to get an ultraportable for work in the audio industry then the only way to go is a MacBook Air. I personally wouldnt get a refurb laptop.

One thing to watch with net books is the screen resolution,some software don't play nicely on them.For the record I regularly use chamsys,yamaha studio manager and dolby lake software on a bottom of the range dhell netbook and it all works fine,however the shiny screen is a pain in the ass in bright sunlight.

Archived