Interesting Lighting Control

johnhuson

There was 1 song, where he essentially 'played the piano', I quite like his idea's of using 'everyday' items to control large LX rigs.

And thanks for the link to vid! Brings back plenty of memories of the Tour that I had, and the concert afterwards B-)

He does raise an interesting point - the piano is hundreds of years old and essentially invented for playback (admittedly of an entirely different thing); why not use it for playback of lighting instead of trying to invent clever, complicated interfaces to do so?

As it has cleared worked on a large scale music event, it's difficult to argue that it wouldn't scale well or wouldn't be applicable to a large-scale show.

Lordy, The Move had a keyboard controlled lighting rig in the sixties, looked for all the world like a Hammond but with a metal clad switch on the end.

However... a keyboard is a good surface if you're a keyboard player, for a non-keyboard player then pads have no drawbacks and several advantages, like they light up. Check out YouiTube for Ableton Live and APC40 or launchpad. SOme paddy things are touch sensitive too.

I loved that video, MIDI, MSC and timecode is right up my alley. It looks like Lincoln Park are enslaved to the click for the show, as for that setup to work, the timecode has to come from somewhere and the band need to stay in step.

I loved that video, MIDI, MSC and timecode is right up my alley. It looks like Lincoln Park are enslaved to the click for the show, as for that setup to work, the timecode has to come from somewhere and the band need to stay in step.

There actually is timecode running in the background for every song, Via Pro Tools. There is a Pro Tools track, in which additional instruments and sounds, that are not/ cant be created by the band are played from, it also is the basis for keeping everything together.

Well that's the way I remember it, when I was on the tour of the Melbourne Leg (Which is where this was filmed at)

He does raise an interesting point - the piano is hundreds of years old and essentially invented for playback (admittedly of an entirely different thing); why not use it for playback of lighting instead of trying to invent clever, complicated interfaces to do so?

Heck, that's nothing new...

Fred Bentham was doing it 40 or 50 years ago!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Bentham2.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Bentham1.jpg

Archived