Hearing Systems for Entertainment

Orchytech

Hi

We have just had a punter throw a wobbly because he feels that our venue should be fitted with an Induction loop rather than the Infra red system that is installed. He takes offence to the fact that he has to be singled out by wearing a loop necklace for the system to work with his hearing aid which is itself very discreet.

Anyone else come up against this?

Do any of you run both an induction loop and an infra red system simultaneously?

Any views on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken, running an induction loop and infra-red system simultaneously would lead to problems for hearing aid users. Infra-red systems generally consist of a loop coil which you wear around your neck, inducing a signal to the T-coil of the hearing aids. If you had both a traditional induction loop and an infra-red system operating, those using the infra-red loop would receive two signals (assuming both loops were operating in the same area of the auditiorium). These signals would superimpose and due to the slight transmission delay in the infra red system, would result in an almost unusable situation for the aid user.

Do any of you run both an induction loop and an infra red system simultaneously?

The real problem with induction loop systems in entertainment venues is that they are a PITA when you have a band in. Unless you only run it in a part of the venue where things like electric guitars won't be used then you'll have feedback problems.

Having said that, in a larger commercial venue it ought to be possible to install both.

As Peter says you may have issues with spurious pickup though and you'd need to do some serious site tests to see what would happen. It's almost impossible to predict how systems will interact. The good news is that loop systems are cheap to buy.

If interaction was a problem then you'd need to use the loop only in the looped part of the venue and IR in the non-looped part. That would minimise interaction.

Do you need to offer both is a whole different question. The law simply says that you must make reasonable provisions for disabled people. It doesn't define what is reasonable.

The problem we are having is that so far a few patrons and a Disability Action group have both shown distaste in the system which makes them wear an obvious necklace.

I admit that our infra red system is only taking a signal from ambient mics and not the desk (yet) but I feel from my past experience with both systems is that the infra red systems give a better sound quality. But then I have only ever tested this using a induction loop tester.

I may have to look at installing an induction loop to use for certain events and have the infra red system for live gigs.

For info the venue is a converted church and although the cost of an induction system is cheap I have a feeling that the installing the loop wire on the Grade 1 listed walls will be a pain.

If I'm not mistaken, running an induction loop and infra-red system simultaneously would lead to problems for hearing aid users.  Infra-red systems generally consist of a loop coil which you wear around your neck, inducing a signal to the T-coil of the hearing aids.  If you had both a traditional induction loop and an infra-red system operating, those using the infra-red loop would receive two signals (assuming both loops were operating in the same area of the auditiorium).  These signals would superimpose and due to the slight transmission delay in the infra red system, would result in an almost unusable situation for the aid user.

You are right to a point I believe Peter however I have one amendment that I would make to that statement.

It is possible to run both systems as I have witnessed. The induction loop servicing the needs of hearing aid users wherea the infared system directly feeding the <in this case> sennheiser infared recievers which then drive headphones via a small amp. This system <as Orchytech stated> can also be used to drive hearing aids via the loop around the neck.

Particularly used for audio described shows although also used for the hard of hearing who are not hear aid users. <of which there are quite a few!>

So in short they can both be used together as long as the user doesn't have both both of the systems interfaced to him/herself.

Ie: 1.) Headphones driven via infared

2.) Hearing Aid driven via infared and loop adapter <as orchytechs system>

3.) Hearing Aid driven via induction loop

4.) Headphones driven via induction loop

As for complaining about wearing the necklace IMHO I would consider you to be providing adequate provision by having the system installed.

BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION!

Poppadom

Hi 

We have just had a punter throw a wobbly because he feels that our venue should be fitted with an Induction loop rather than the Infra red system that is installed. He takes offence to the fact that he has to be singled out by wearing a loop necklace for the system to work with his hearing aid which is itself very discreet. 

Anyone else come up against this?

Any views on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I would tend to make it clear (nicely) to your patrons that the Infra Red systems are far superior to induction loops, not only is the sound quality much better, but it can also be used for simultaneous translation for the blind and doesn't interfere with the building sound system like induction loops can.

As far the Disability Discrimination Act is concerned, it states that you can use either.

As Londonjim states from 1st October 2004 it is a legal requirement that public places make reasonable adjustments to the physical features of the premises so that goods, services and facilities are accessible for disabled people. As with all Acts it is quite vague in it's interpretation, but definitely includes installation of a hard of hearing system.

Archived