Outboard EQ

NeilVox

What a minefield....

I'm using two EV SBA750s with two EV SXA360s, an A&H Mixwizard desk and a minidisc for backing. Occasionally I mic my 4x12 and run it through the desk also.

I'm getting a low freq hum everynow and then so I'm guessing I need a standalone EQ or feedback eliminator.

I'm not too keen on the latter as I don't want too much 'taken out' of the mix.

Can anyone rec a nice EQ? I've been told DBX colour the sound too much, BSS Opal will fall to bits and not to even mention B******** in this forum!

I'll have around £600 to spend.

Your help is appreciated. :blink:

Before spending money try and find the cause of the hum

I'd like to second this. The hum could be - as I'm sure you know - dimmers, ground loops, damaged mic cables etc.

And even if you get a top notch GEQ, it might not be able to do the job, because there is no 60 Hz fader to pull down and hums often still have harmonics.

Its parametric relative might be better, but well – they all will take something out of the mix again… :unsure:

Norbert

The hum could be something as simple as a damaged cable or badly made-off connector. I'll second or third the advice to do some systematic diagnosis and try to eliminate the hum at source since using EQ to kill it is more of a stop-gap than a solution.

I'm getting a low freq hum everynow and then so I'm guessing I need a standalone EQ or feedback eliminator.

I'm pretty sure it's the vox mic (line 6 xdv70 digital wireless) as sometime there's not a lot of space to set up so prox could be the issue - keen to try the hi pass too. :)

Seems to be some confusion here... Hum, as mentioned by various other posters, which is often caused by ground loops or dodgy cables will be there constantly (or at least always whilst the affected channel is turned on).

You then mention "prox" - proximity? Proximity of what? The mic to your mouth? That will give rise to what's also referred to as the proximity effect where lower frequencies are boosted. That could be the issue itself or those boosts could be triggering a room resonance that's on the verge of feeding back so it's ringing on a bit. Or do you mean proximity of one bit of equipment to another?

Without being there to hear the problem first hand, it's difficult to remotely diagnose but it's even more difficult without a really clear and accurate description of what you're hearing. So...

You say it's happening every now & then - how often? How long does it last when it does happen? Does it coincide with anything else happening? Particular words / notes sung?

What exactly does it sound like? A pure tone at 50Hz or 100Hz? 50Hz plus harmonics? A different frequency? Is it the same every time or is it different?

The more information you can give, the easier it will be for someone to give you an accurate solution. Chucking an EQ at the problem may well not be that solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's the vox mic (line 6 xdv70 digital wireless) as sometime there's not a lot of space to set up so prox could be the issue - keen to try the hi pass too. :)

Seems to be some confusion here... Hum, as mentioned by various other posters, which is often caused by ground loops or dodgy cables will be there constantly (or at least always whilst the affected channel is turned on).

You then mention "prox" - proximity? Proximity of what? The mic to your mouth? That will give rise to what's also referred to as the proximity effect where lower frequencies are boosted. That could be the issue itself or those boosts could be triggering a room resonance that's on the verge of feeding back so it's ringing on a bit. Or do you mean proximity of one bit of equipment to another?

Without being there to hear the problem first hand, it's difficult to remotely diagnose but it's even more difficult without a really clear and accurate description of what you're hearing. So...

You say it's happening every now & then - how often? How long does it last when it does happen? Does it coincide with anything else happening? Particular words / notes sung?

What exactly does it sound like? A pure tone at 50Hz or 100Hz? 50Hz plus harmonics? A different frequency? Is it the same every time or is it different?

The more information you can give, the easier it will be for someone to give you an accurate solution. Chucking an EQ at the problem may well not be that solution.

Hi,

Ok - It lasts around 3-5 seconds - it doesn't happen when I'm singing

It sounds like a pure tone - low - same everytime (not an electronic 'buzz' but a great bellowing HONK!)

I'm going to invest in new cabling to as the ones I have are cheapys and have been failing when home recording.

As I'm unable to ring the room out I 'm more positive than ever that this is a feedback issue.

Thank you so far for the replies!

NV

If it was feedback, the system would go into oscillation and then stay there, unless something was done to break the cycle. From your description, I would be looking for another cause - such as partial breakdown of a power supply that's allowing some 50Hz component into the audio chain.

Looks lkike you need someone to look at the system, rather than taking guesses?

Archived