MIDI DMX Triggers Help...

firemantom

As part of a creative project at Uni, I am trying to activtate/flash lights to live music. I appreciate this sounds like plain old sound to light, but I wish to use midi triggers so that when certain frequencies or levels are hit it activates a trigger which I can then convert to DMX... I have researched and found ways to do it pre recorded, but not in a live format. My plan is to make a large scale VU or Graphic with parcans, dependant on complexity .

Any Help Much appreciated!

Thanks Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

We should be looking at releasing a version of LimeLIGHT with MIDI in functionality before Christmas.

That gives you everything you can do with hotkeys (Flash \ toggle states, cuelist control, amongst other things) as well as linking submasters to midi faders.

HTH

Depending how complicated you want to go, I did something similar for a Uni project a few years ago using pure data (http://puredata.info/). I programmed it to take an audio input, process it and then output midi, which I then simply connected to a Jester to trigger various submasters.

The idea of Pure Data is that it can take any input, do any process to it and then spit out any output. It's not the easiest or most logical program out there, but the website has quite a lot of resources to help you.

I created a simple clap switch, so a sudden change in volume, created from a clap, triggered a submaster to turn on / off. But you could process frequencies, volumes, all sorts to make various lights trigger.

You can also do it with the Vista range from Jands, I've linked to their download page so you can have a look through their software. You didnt specify if you had a budget to hire a desk, so I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here and assuming you do!

Edit: I seem to of got the wrong end of the stick here, but still have a look through the software! :-)

Archived