Lampy or Lampie

numberwrong

If I had to write it down I'd put 'lampy'. The rules, as I remember it is that common nouns use y if a consonant precedes the y - if it's a vowel, it's an ie. However, loads of technical terms mess this up, like camera dolly and dollies - where the plural then gets the ie. So lampy and lampies seem to be the correct usage?

If I had to write it down I'd put 'lampy'. The rules, as I remember it is that common nouns use y if a consonant precedes the y - if it's a vowel, it's an ie.

I'd agree, though with the English language, rules are ALWAYS there to be broken!!

Sharpie...

Faerie

etc

I'd actually spell it Lampie, because it looks more like an informal noun derived from the job description, than Lampy which looks more like an adjective.

He is a tech-ie - vs - This AV rig is a bit too tech-y for most people to understand

He works as a road-ie - vs - This track is more roady than the lane we drove here on

Normal nouns (not to be confused with Proper nouns requiring a capital letter), generally use a "Y" ending such as assembly, fairy, party, potty.

Adjectives use the Y ending rather than IE: extremely, dirty, sexy (Hmm, sounds good!....) http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Sorry - I don't accept technician (or technician) as a proper word, and it will never leave my lips. I've no idea why, but I simply cannot stand the word. Not rational, but I find it nearly as 'sucking a lemon' as the C word!

C word ? Cast ? Choreographer ? ;)

I guess I've just always been used to 'technicians' or 'techs' Personally I feel it's an acceptable (and informal) abbreviation of Technicians.

As far as the spelling goes I think mutley hit it on the head :)

'tech' is acceptable, 'technician' annoys me and somehow sounds slightly patronising- something a completely non-technical person uses to refer to someone technical.

E2C: for some reason I wrote 'technician' rather than 'technician' as being the thing that annoyed me.

BR changes "T-E-C-H-I-E" and "T-E-C-H-Y" to "technician", so this may cause some confusion when posting replies!

Archived