Amp recommendations?

Mr Steve

Hi guys,

I have two 400W RMS subs at 8 ohms, and I'm looking for an amp to drive them. Could anyone recommend a budget amp to do the job? Most people advertise the 4 ohm rating and I'm not sure how this relates to a 8 ohm speaker :unsure:

Any advice would be great.

Maybe the TA1400 which can supply 2 x 700watts at 4 ohms and 2 x 450watts at 8 ohm. Have a look at it here

The general rule of thumb with amps is for safety to buy something which can produce 1.5 to 2x the rated power of your speakers. In this case, you'd be looking for an amp that could do 600 - 800 watts into 8 ohms.

Well not actually used the T.Amp (I'm spoilt with a warehouse full of Lab Gruppen and Camco!) but looking at the pics appears to be a re-badged Mackie amp which are pretty good amps.

I would also recommend you looking at the Yamaha P Series, although they are a little more money than the T.Amps, but are also available from Thomann. They are good amplifiers, we have put quite a few in installs which run heavily and had no problems at all with them.

Yamaha P3500 : Produces 390w @ 8 Ohm & 590w @ 4 Ohm.

or

Yamaha P5000 : Produces 525w @ 8 Ohm & 750w @ 4Ohm.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help!

I have written a begging note to see if our Community Director will fund the T Series amp from Thomann. I'd love to have something nicer, but cheap will have to do! The subs are cheapo disco units too - but if the money aint there, it aint there!

Thanks for the help!

I have written a begging note to see if our Community Director will fund the T Series amp from Thomann. I'd love to have something nicer, but cheap will have to do! The subs are cheapo disco units too - but if the money aint there, it aint there!

Bet the T Amps will be fine, but at well over 20kg they're in the heavy stakes. Similar budget but a bit lighter are the Behringer amps, I've got an EP2500 which still feels heavy at 17kg! Certainly kicks out some power, though - but I wouldn't want to have to shift more than one in a rack!

Bet the T Amps will be fine, but at well over 20kg they're in the heavy stakes. Similar budget but a bit lighter are the Behringer amps, I've got an EP2500 which still feels heavy at 17kg! Certainly kicks out some power, though - but I wouldn't want to have to shift more than one in a rack!

4 in a rack overe here!

James :rolleyes:

but at well over 20kg they're in the heavy stakes

heavy my arse... you should try a rack of these you have to open the pdf to find that they weigh 65kgs each, and thats only in a 4 rack unit space. Could get 4 of those and processing in a 20u rack, which would weigh just a shade over 300kgs, now how many crew do you need to lift that into a van!

heavy my arse... you should try a rack of these you have to open the pdf to find that they weigh 65kgs each, and thats only in a 4 rack unit space. Could get 4 of those and processing in a 20u rack, which would weigh just a shade over 300kgs, now how many crew do you need to lift that into a van!

I looked at something very like that at Plaza a few years back. Thoght to myself "how heavy is that?" and tryed to lift it. "Hmm... screwed down". Thought about it for a bit and went back to try again and it might just as well have been!

Hi.

I use matrix UKP1300 amplifiers (2x650 into 4 ohms, 2x390 into 8 ohms) and I find them pretty good, plus, they are made in the uk too which means, unlike thomann and behringer, you don't have to ship to germany in the event of problems. I used them to power my 300w RMS top/mids - very nice and clear.

I have a behringer MX9000 mixing console and have had problems with that.

Apparently, behringer do not actually test their products... Their testing is their customers. hmmm.

I'd stick with companies such as Yamaha, like JohnHuson suggested, or another well respected company.

You could try second hand too, you might get more quality for your money.

Si

Sorry.

I do actually like Behringer - they make some very good stuff - signal processing seems to be a good strong point for them.

But I wouldn't personally advise buying an amp from them that's all.

I always find it easy to slag things off based on my own personal experience of a product - but steer clear of taking in everything people say. Behringer had their fair share of bad press, but I've had a lot of their product over the past ten years and have only had one fault- fixed quickly - a dry joint problem. Behringer make useful products at very reasonable prices. Quality control I'm guessing is probably by sampling, rather than every item. The one item I thought faulty, and returned, turned out to be me misunderstanding how to work it!

I've got 10 different items of theirs at the moment, and I'm very happy with my Behringer experience.

Archived