What are these rack bolts?

Solstace

I've been a tool, and lost our tool to get into a particular rack in one of our buildings. On top of this, I'm having a bear of a time looking on Google to find a replacement. So - anyone happen to know what these bolts might be called, and where I might get a tool I can use to get them out?

http://abstractnoise.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/photo.jpg

(Think once I do get them out I'll replace them with a more standard solution for which we have several tools!)

They look awfly like torx fixings but not recessed, you may be able to use vice grips to undo them, if not speak to your local supplier of tools and fasners (I think I may have even seen them in the screwfix catalog) they tent to hold such tools.

Just one of the many forms of "security" screws. Probably the tool is available from Maplin CPC and your local electronics shop, The link above (RS ) links on to the driver through RS.

Is there a reason for use of security screws in that particular rack. Be sure that the rack is threaded for M6 before you commit to replacing these with pozi M6 screws

One solution to remove them is to get a cheap "rotary tool" (ie; Dremel copy), with a cutting disc in it, and grind slots in the heads to use a flat screwdriver.

I've used this solution many times in undoing weird security screws.

If you can't find a cheap Dremel copy, you could just put the cutting disc attachment in a mains drill...

def system zero.

RS do a hand held screwdriver, and used to do a drill bit attachment (although cant see them any more on their site)

We use these to stop people removing amps, limiters etc in clubs. Some of the dj's have a nasty habit of bypassing the limiter.

If they are torqued up to a decent level, then they are a complete mare to get off without the correct tool.

Archived