HELP

londonjim

I am looking at building a projection screen out of scaff (basically because its cheap).

I want it to be hexagon/octogan shape, and I wondered what you would reccomend to do it?

I know swivel clamps will not, but can you get 60 degree (or similar) couplers, a little like the 90 deg ones?

Thanks

Jim

Guest lightnix

It would be possible to use swivel clamps, but you'd need to brace the corners to keep the thing rigid (something I'd consider doing even if I was using fixed-angle clamps).

What sort of size are we talking about, BTW ?

dunno how much the doughty ones are, but my local metal stock holders do the kee clamps for about £5 each, although swivel scaff couplers only cost a quid, but wouldn't be that useful as you wouldn't be able to keep all the scaff in the same plane.

What is wrong with the traditional scenic construction method of 2x1 or for installation purposes 2x2. how are you going to attach a screen to metal scaff, can't just staple it on...

paul...

Guest lightnix
What is wrong with the traditional scenic construction method of 2x1 or for installation purposes 2x2. how are you going to attach a screen to metal scaff, can't just staple it on...

That's a good point, slim. Is there any particular need for it to be made out of metal? If it does, you may be able to find a small engineering business, who could weld something up for you out of 1" square steel tube or somesuch, for less than the cost of all those clamps, bars and rigging time. The problem of attaching the material might be solved (if it's a temporary structure) by using Evostik impact adhesive to fix thin strips of ply to the one side, securing them with cable ties and using them to staple the material to. Don't forget to attach rigging fixings and allow for the attachment of safety bonds.

I'm no chippy, but I'd certainly opt for wood if possible, now I think of it. It will be cheaper, for a start. It wouldn't be too hard to cut 2x1 to the right angles to make a polygon, wriggle-pin them together and screw / glue triangles of 10mm ply to the corners for bracing (I'm assuming front projection here). Then stretch the projection material over the frame, opposite sides at a time, stapling as you go. You could tidy up the edges by cutting strips of 3mm ply to make a border, covering them in black felt and pinning them through from the front.

For really temporary (1-3 day) installs, there's that fireproof polystyrene board, backed with foil on each side. I only know it as "Jabby", which I think is short for something. It's light as a feather - you can virtually carry a whole conference set on one shoulder :unsure:

Hmm thanks, but I need them to be at 60 degrees.

So you have a pole going in the hole, there is a 60 deg bend and a pole goes in another side. like a 180 degrees (or straight) but it is at 60 degrees, so the poles are at 60 degree to each other.

If you can understand that then thats what I need.

Thanks

Jim

Hmm thanks, but I need them to be at 60 degrees.

So you have a pole going in the hole, there is a 60 deg bend and a pole goes in another side. like a 180 degrees (or straight) but it is at 60 degrees, so the poles are at 60 degree to each other.

If you can understand that then thats what I need.

Thanks

Jim

Yes, yes Jim. We're not thick you know but you may need to use your imagination a little.

How about combining two of these

http://cgi.www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/theatre/products/photo/T17300F.jpg

By bolting them together you'll get any angle you want. Of course they will be slightly off set to each other but not by much - you'd have to get hold of a couple and see how much of a problem that is. I'm not sure how tight you'll be able to get them but I've a feeling that once the whole thing is together it will retain it's shape on it's own - though I could be wrong about this.

Guest lightnix
How about combining two of these

http://cgi.www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/theatre/products/photo/T17300F.jpg

By bolting them together you'll get any angle you want... I'm not sure how tight you'll be able to get them but I've a feeling that once the whole thing is together it will retain it's shape on it's own - though I could be wrong about this.

I'm afraid you may be. It won't hold it's shape without corner bracing, on the total number of corners minus three, AFAIK.

Even with ali scaff. it's going to be very heavy! Small bungy's and eyelets in the screen material will be fine to attach it with.

I've used these a few times at odd angles with just a short offcut of scaff as a pivot. The sideways grub screw makes it a good angled joint.

http://cgi.www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/theatre/products/photo/T14800.jpg

paul

Archived