Software lighting desk

badweasel

Hi,

I dabble in software from time to time. My latest project is a generic lighting desk with USB-DMX dongle. It uses the Enttec OpenDMX device, which retails at 55 euro (a low-price solution was the key driving factor).

So far I've added the ability to record and recall scenes, a program/run mode and a built-in web server so that you can flash through lamps with a smartphone.

I've got this far as a hobby, with the possibility of making this product worth buying, if the market is out there.

Take a look at the screenshots and let me know what features I might add and whether you would pay for this (or you can tell me someone else already did it and I'm pretty much wasting my time, that's ok).

Many thanks,

Dave

http://blendcalc.irisdown.co.uk/dmxcontrol.jpg

http://blendcalc.irisdown.co.uk/dmxcontrol2.jpg

To be honest with you, people are unlikely to useyour software. With companies such as Chamsys givingaway their software, you will struggle to get people using yours.

People will probably respond asking for features and tell you it looks neat. I'm sure many people are going to ask forthings such as moving light control, networking, backups etc... These are allthings which will take a lot of time to add to your project. For example, toadd moving lights requires information about fixtures. The fixture libraries used on mostconsoles if we count each mode as a new personality have around 5500 fixtures.It would take a very long time to try and catch up with the likes of MA, Jandsor ETC in terms of just what fixtures are supported.

Now add that features such as networking, mediaserver control and pixel mapping are becoming common place on consoles. Youbegin to realise what as massive undertaking developing a high end controlsystem is. Perhaps you don't want to make the next Hog or MA? With Chamsysallowing users to use their software for free, it makes your software a veryhard sell indeed because people can get these features for free.

If your aim is to develop a neat application forfun, go ahead and enjoy yourself. However if you are looking to profit fromthis, then be aware that it’s a very competitive market which is alreadysaturated with manufacturers producing products which will have many featuresyou do not.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike.

These are allthings which will take a lot of time to add to your project. For example, toadd moving lights requires information about fixtures. The fixture libraries used on mostconsoles if we count each mode as a new personality have around 5500 fixtures.It would take a very long time to try and catch up with the likes of MA, Jandsor ETC in terms of just what fixtures are supported.

We are spending a lot of time making fixtures at the moment: the verse's are selling pretty well and everyone who buys one has different fixtures.

Tell you what else I didn't realise the full price of when I started out: Marketing. If you want anyone to actually know you exist then you need to spend a lot on it - no point in making consoles and not telling people about it.

Feel free to message me for other more specific advice, though bear in mind at what with plasa being next week and everything I am pretty busy so replies might take a while. Also come to plasa to see what else is already out there.

To use Magic Q PC's sound to light feature you have to buy a £400 usb audio dongle.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a soft-desk that will do sound to light for under £100 (Sunlite / Daslite etc) - Most of them come with a usb DMX interface

I would pay £20 - £30 for this if I liked it and that only because I already have an Entec pro DMX interface (assuming it supported it)

I think cheap sound to light software is the only gap in the market - please correct me if I'm wrong

If there is still a market for things like the Zero 88 Juggler there would be a market for something as basic as this I'd think - indeed, for reasons too stupid to go into here, it would have been ideal for a project I was asked to advise on last year.

We are spending a lot of time making fixtures at the moment: the verse's are selling pretty well and everyone who buys one has different fixtures.

Good to hear that the Verse is selling well for you. Are you finding that your spending more time writing fixtures than you are writing new features into the software?

I really like the look of your software. But that's probably because it's very similar to a design idea I had a while ago but never got around to working on.

To be honest with you, people are unlikely to useyour software. With companies such as Chamsys givingaway their software, you will struggle to get people using yours.

People will probably respond asking for features and tell you it looks neat. I'm sure many people are going to ask forthings such as moving light control, networking, backups etc...

That's probably true of people on these forums but that's because we're technical types who want all the bells and whistles. The more functionality the better.

I do a lot of lighting for local amateur groups (so much so I could do with cloning myself to keep up with demand). The active members of these groups tend to be into acting and directing and find technology intimidating. Show them a conventional lighting desk with all its faders, buttons, knobs, etc. and they panic. Software desks that pack the same level of functionality have the same problem.

If there is still a market for things like the Zero 88 Juggler there would be a market for something as basic as this I'd think - indeed, for reasons too stupid to go into here, it would have been ideal for a project I was asked to advise on last year.

I think a program that provides a simple way to setup, record and play back lighting states could be a real boon to small amateur groups.

My specific thoughts:

•  
  • Having the number of faders being a multiple of 6 would be useful (Betapacks and Act6 dimmers are commonly used by the target customers).
  • Having the ability to hide anything not total necessary (the outputs display) would be helpful.
  • Have an option to hide the faders when Run mode is engaged. Just have GO and STOP/BACK buttons (Maybe some way of selecting a state for when people skip several pages!).
  • As for selling it, I can't see people paying megabucks for a very basic bit of kit but you could probably make a small return.

I agree with Karl's post. I think this could come in useful in 'muggle schools' (schools without technical people), where they just want several preset scenes for different occasions (like red, green and blue washes, general chases, general washes). If the software could have several scenes that you can fade/flash up independently rather than in a master cuestack all from like an execute window, where there is just like 9 buttons onscreen, with each corresponding to a different preset scene...I'm no good with software etc, so I don't know if it's possible on the scale you are saying about, but I think the muggle school/village hall could benefit from this, as they dont seem to have the budget or knowledge for a full-blown system but seem to still have the relevant systems in place ( ie dimmers). I like the mobile idea! I should be on Dragons Den..

Good to hear that the Verse is selling well for you. Are you finding that your spending more time writing fixtures than you are writing new features into the software?

Actually no, much as it does occasionally feel like it. Wouldn't like to put a number on how our time splits, but I would confess right now fixture profiles take a good chunk of it.

If you could make something that would work as a generic rigger's remote from an android smartphone, I'd see that as being really useful. The best, cheap way I've found so far has been with MagicQ and a wireless keyboard. Something with a better user interface on a touchscreen would certainly get my vote.

I really like the look of that Dave. I can think of a few situations where that would be very useful, esp if a Desire can talk to it - cos thats what I have. Also have an Enttec Pro so I'm goot to go in the hardware department.

If I want moving light control, then I can use MagicQ. I am sure there is demand for something more basic though.

It looks good - that said there are several other PC packages around :)

If you were wanting ideas for other software (as in, I haven't got the skills to write it, but would like it please, haha :) ) then a bit of software that records a DMX state or group of states and then allows you to play them back would be awesomely useful - for use as either a show backup in case the console dies, or an installed solution. I haven't yet found something that does that.

David

Archived