New Digital Desks

danny_zisys

IIRC, none of the Midas desks have touch screens - they are used for information display only. Everything on the screen is mapped to physical buttons. They have a condensed channel strip with a bunch of function selects (on the larger ones - the Pro2 appears to only have a single select)- tapping this will open up the relevant screens and assign them to the controls beside the monitor.

Certainly the Pro 6 (which I know well) doesn't have a touch screen...operation is as Mac Calder describes it.

Personally, I don't miss a touch screen...maybe my fingers are too big and clumsy but I never get on very well with touch screens. I find the control too imprecise--I much prefer a button or knob I can actually feel.

Personally, I don't miss a touch screen...maybe my fingers are too big and clumsy but I never get on very well with touch screens. I find the control too imprecise--I much prefer a button or knob I can actually feel.

How well a touch screen works depends on the UI. The Soundcraft and Studer versions of Vistonics are both good touch screen interfaces, the Digico is not. Consoles that are designed to work without them seem to get on just fine. I don't need a touchscreen of a PM5D, but I am used to and happy with the screen on an M7. I am getting used to the touchscreen on the Studer, I haven't been able to on a Digico.

A well designed touchscreen shouldn't care if you have fat fingers, my iPhone screen deals with my fingers fine.

On a well designed console UI that has no touchscreen you shouldn't feel the lack of it.

Mac

How well a touch screen works depends on the UI. The Soundcraft and Studer versions of Vistonics are both good touch screen interfaces, the Digico is not. Consoles that are designed to work without them seem to get on just fine. I don't need a touchscreen of a PM5D, but I am used to and happy with the screen on an M7. I am getting used to the touchscreen on the Studer, I haven't been able to on a Digico.

I am so glad you said that about the Digico desks, I thought it was just me. Coupled with Digico's extreme "many ways to skin a cat" approach this is a desk that sounds great but reduces me to a quivering jelly on walk-up. Even working on Digico's offline editor has nearly reduced me to tears! :oops:

A well designed touchscreen shouldn't care if you have fat fingers, my iPhone screen deals with my fingers fine.

On a well designed console UI that has no touchscreen you shouldn't feel the lack of it.

Mac

I've certainly never missed a touchscreen on the Digidesign Venue. Or on the PM1D for that matter.

I too played with the Cadac - it certainly has potential - and I was vaguely excited at talk of a bigger brother as well.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that it isn't going to be the cheapest option out there :D

Prices being bandied about (by a dealer, not Midas) was £14k + VAT for the Pro2c and £18k + VAT for the Pro 2. That price includes the desk, a 3 part flightcase, 2x100m CAT5e cable and a 48in 16 return stagebox. I think that's pretty stunning, and it's down to the buying power of the Music Group, and the dedicated manufacturing facilities Midas have in China.

The desk has two power suplies built in, and Midas were keen to emphasise that the build and audio quality is identical to the larger Pro series digital desks.

The price point they've hit means that this is in direct competition with products such as Digico's SD8 and Yamaha's M7CL, and of course much will be made of the sound quality that can be expected...!

I think it's a fairly safe bet that it isn't going to be the cheapest option out there :D

Prices being bandied about (by a dealer, not Midas) was £14k + VAT for the Pro2c and £18k + VAT for the Pro 2. That price includes the desk, a 3 part flightcase, 2x100m CAT5e cable and a 48in 16 return stagebox. I think that's pretty stunning, and it's down to the buying power of the Music Group, and the dedicated manufacturing facilities Midas have in China.

The desk has two power suplies built in, and Midas were keen to emphasise that the build and audio quality is identical to the larger Pro series digital desks.

The price point they've hit means that this is in direct competition with products such as Digico's SD8 and Yamaha's M7CL, and of course much will be made of the sound quality that can be expected...!

Theres a dollar figure in this video from PLASA.

The chap on the vid states $22400 which is just over £14k for the larger pro 2.

Possibly, but not always. To a certain extent products are priced to suit the national market they are sold into. Furthermore, few of the people buying such a desk would expect to pay "retail" price.

Archived