Which profiles?????

sigill

Hello

Need to get a few more profile. But not sure which road to go down. We are I guess a meduim sized venue. LX bars sit about 4.5M above stage and the front of house bar is at the same height and about 6.5m from the front of stage.

Would rather go for zooms rather than fixed beam for a bit more versatility.

I have been looking at the Selecon SPX range but have brought Selecon Aclaims in the past and was not perticually imprested with the build quality althought the optics seemed ok for the price. The Source 4 juniors are cheaper than the SPX so are also an option. The standard source 4 zoom are a little above our price range.

So was just wondering what others use from the no more than about £450 zoom profile range.

Your thought and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

What problems did you have with the Acclaims? I've used them quite a few times in the past and couldn't really find fault with them - I thought they were quite a well thought out design. I've also used the Source 4 Juniors (zoom and fixed) quite a bit, and find them to be very nice. The Source 4 Zoom is, by comparison, horrible, and almost entirely unusable (especially the 15/30) without the balancing yoke.

What do you have in your rig already? One thing that you may or may not want to consider is your stock of spare lamps - for example if you already have a rig full of things from the Source 4 family, it might make sense to go down the route of the Source 4 Junior as they'll take the same lamp and you won't need to keep a stock of yet another type of lamp.

The Source 4 Zoom is, by comparison, horrible, and almost entirely unusable (especially the 15/30) without the balancing yoke.

I think this is a little bold, I use 15/30's on a daily basis and have no issues with them. I appreciate when used with a scroller the 15/30 can be quite nose heavy though. By the balancing yoke do you mean the type with a fastening handle each side? As I believe these have shipped by standard for some time. I would certainly choose a 25/50 Source Four for anything in that design bracket over anything made by Selecon, or anyone else for that matter.

Joe

The Source 4 Zoom is, by comparison, horrible, and almost entirely unusable (especially the 15/30) without the balancing yoke.

I think this is a little bold, I use 15/30's on a daily basis and have no issues with them. I appreciate when used with a scroller the 15/30 can be quite nose heavy though. By the balancing yoke do you mean the type with a fastening handle each side? As I believe these have shipped by standard for some time. I would certainly choose a 25/50 Source Four for anything in that design bracket over anything made by Selecon, or anyone else for that matter.

Joe

No, there is a specific balancing yoke. A quick google has failed to show an actual picture, but this pdf shows the part (top right corner).

T

Joe

No, there is a specific balancing yoke. A quick google has failed to show an actual picture, but this pdf shows the part (top right corner).

T

Ah right, I have to say I have never seen any with this fitted!

Have seen many Source Four Zooms fitted with such a yoke, although I have to say I don't find the units without these yokes a huge issue. Yes they are front heavy, but this can be easily rectified by adjusting the tilt into a rough focus, allowing the balance to settle and then tighten up the clamp on the bar. You end up with a well balanced lamp that will not droop. It makes focussing slightly more tricky, as your pan does not behave as you are used to because the clamp is angled backwards, but at least you only need to focus once and then it stays put! Certainly not unusable.

However, that is beside the point...

Source Four Junior gets my vote. Good clear optics for the price, wide range of focus, easy to use and they're nice and compact too.

+1 for the source 4. Stay well away from the SPX's... We had 8 of them on my last job and they were terrible! One also took out it's own power lead. Found the problem though the cable grip is basically a block of plasic that pushes down hard onto the cable and basically mashes the cores inside creating shorts and such. Poorly designed.

FYI I had a look at the part number its about $75 from ETC it would seem.

IT is as simple as moving the yoke 2inches or so down the tube.

S4s I love, I have 10 of the old style acclaims, what type did you use? my ones are great for the price, no problems.

Im not a fan of just normal Selecon Acclaim Profiles(650w T27 Lamp), But really like the Selecon Axial Acclaim (GKV600 Lamp), its just very well thought out, and tough as anything. Although the S4 Jnr Zooms, have been looking very tempting, and they are cheaper, and was also quite impressed with these when ive used them in the past.

My Money would be on the S4 Jnr's

An Interesting fact - Selecon is only a short hop away in New Zealand, whilst ETC is based in the US, but somehow thier S4 Jnr Zo0m Profiles 25-50deg beat an Selecon Axial Acclaim 22-44deg by allmost $200 in price.....

An Interesting fact - Selecon is only a short hop away in New Zealand, whilst ETC is based in the US, but somehow thier S4 Jnr Zo0m Profiles 25-50deg beat an Selecon Axial Acclaim 22-44deg by allmost $200 in price.....

Something to do with the US Dollar dropping through the floor. Parity, more or less with the Oz dollar. Make the most of it!

Yeah I think the Source 4 Juniors are the way to go...

I found the tilt look on the Acclaims to be a bit rubbish on at least 2 of the units the locks would not tighten sufficiently to hold the unit. Especially when using them on booms to hold the at 90 degrees to the yoke. Although I understand the design may have changed a little since 2008/9 ....but once bitten and all that.......

I agree about the standard source 4 zooms. Never used them but they just look big and cumbersome...and on top of that out of my price range...

Thanks for all your input so far

Anymore thoughts would be much appreciated.

Si

Hi Si,

Spotlight offer both 650 and 1200 watt sizes with a T class lamp in both a narrow and wide beam angles.(14º-33º and 23º-40º at 650 watt. and 13º-35º and 24º-50º in the 1.2k)

The classic square look is designed to maximise the life of the lamps, by both air flow over the lamp and heat radiation through the all metal body.

If you would like to see a demo unit, please contact me via email or PM

Many thanks

Source 4 Jnr Zooms get my vote too; a great, compact ellipsoidal. However, I agree with the previous comment about cleaning them - you need to take them fully apart and they don't always like going back together so quick.

Selecon Pacifics are OK, but I find that the dichroic mirrors lose some of the red end of the spectrum (along with the heat) and so you're left with a noticeably blue/green white when compared alongside other spots.

One to stay well away from: PR Lighting Pro Stage Zoom 15/30 (PR-3057) - what a pile of s**t. Don't know about the rest of their offerings, but if the build quality of these two, that I mistakenly bought, are anything to go by, stay well clear.

Archived