Video playback Software / hardware?

groggy

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on which would be the best software to use when playing back video clips in a theatrical environment. Essentially I want to be able to put the clips / pictures into a 'cue stack' with a go button. The performers do interact with the projection so it would be nice to be able to edit the clips during the get in. then when it comes to opping the show its as simple as hitting go and everything is in the right place. The show is currently being opperated on modul8. but I think its time to move to a program more suited to theatre (and we are cutting down number of opperators.). I have been suggested Isadora.

The budget is fairly limited. Also if Isadora is the way forward would someone be able to suggest a good midi interface to use..

Thanks in advance

I am as VERY big fan of Show Cue Systems, I love the service I have received from them when I had issues, you can put in video and audio and cut to size (so a 5 min clip can be cut to the 2m45 in the middle). You can set it up as a stack or have clips on individual letters.

I have also used VisualJockey gold, it is a bit of a mission to get your head round but once you have it set it can be really good. HOWEVER the plus side is it's free AND it has an in programme keystone. The forums are really good as well.

• 6 months later...

Hi Qlab is a good system - free download for the trial which you can use but can not save a show. really easy - mac based with a big go button

DHL

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on which would be the best software to use when playing back video clips in a theatrical environment. Essentially I want to be able to put the clips / pictures into a 'cue stack' with a go button. The performers do interact with the projection so it would be nice to be able to edit the clips during the get in. then when it comes to opping the show its as simple as hitting go and everything is in the right place. The show is currently being opperated on modul8. but I think its time to move to a program more suited to theatre (and we are cutting down number of opperators.). I have been suggested Isadora.

The budget is fairly limited. Also if Isadora is the way forward would someone be able to suggest a good midi interface to use..

Thanks in advance

I use Isadora - which is great if you want to do more complicated stuff, and quite difficult to learn even the basics. I think it would be too much for your needs, but not impossible to use. you can download a demo that is fully functional, but won't save patches. The best way to use it would then be to get an experienced user to make you a show control patch, save it, and send it to you. You would then have to import the media for each show.

I would recommend Qlab (if you're running on a Mac) - again, then demo doesn't save shows, but its easy to import media and set up a stack of cues. if you've got something more complex to program - including multiple cues running simultaneously or fades and animations - and you need to be able to save the show to run it again - then you can hire a license for a couple of dollars a day that allows you to save shows. Its also more stable than Isadora - I've run major shows off it with no problems.

As a point of order, Qlab will save shows in demo mode, it's just that saving them and reopening locks the video content until you add the licence.

As per day licences are dirt cheap, Qlab is great if you are user with only occasional video playback needs. It's great for two channels of audio - for FREE.

It's flexible, although Mac only.

Archived