Ideas ????

Lee Brennan

Got a production coming up, and most of the set is scaffolding. The director want's the scaff poles to be coloured, red, blue and yellow.

So far so good, until I contact the scaffolding company and they won't allow the scaffolding to be painted.

Now I have a problem, the material used obviously has to be fireproof, but non-slippy as cast members use the scaff frame to climb, move etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Lee

My preferred way of blacking out scaff pipe is with 2" (50mm) PVC tape. It's not the cheapest way of dong it but it looks very neat and if you are careful you can cover a pipe with three strips lengthways. Don't over stretch the tape though.

Le Mark (and probably others) do 2" wide (50mm) PVC tape in "all colours".

Cheers,

Would change the scaffolding company, it's just they are returning a favour and loaning it as a freeby!

Thought about covering it with PVC tape, just thought the de-rig would be a nightmare, but if it's tried and tested then that may be the way forward.

Thanks

Lee

If you're going to take my words as proof of "tried and tested" then I feel obliged to point out a few possible pitfalls as well. Apologies if this is grandmothers and egg sucking territory.

Cost it up as it could work out quite expensive. As I said, you can probably get away with three strips per tube, particularly if you can live with a slim uncovered strip on the US side. But give yourself an allowance for mistakes as well.

Depending on your design, I would have thought it would be easier to cover the tubes before they are rigged. It will save you having to cut around all those clamps (Hmm - as a side thought though this may mean you get into problems with having to earth each bit - not sure about that one but no doubt others will leap in here).

It's not overly robust - moving clamps around, particularly if done unsympathetically, will tear it. However, it'll be pretty easy to patch. I'd have thought it will stand up to being climbed around on, though if anybody's wearing heavy soled boots they may rip it.

In my experience, scaffold from building companies tends to be dirty and covered in splats of concrete. You may well need to wash it before use. The clamps tend to be horrid and rusty and half of them don't work.

Good luck

In my experience, scaffold from building companies tends to be dirty and covered in splats of concrete.  You may well need to wash it before use.  The clamps tend to be horrid and rusty and half of them don't work.

Good luck

I'd add to that, that if you ask for specific lengths, they may well give you nearest lenghths, and not necessarily tell you. Also 4m length "A" may not be the same length as 4m length "B". But you can't realy complain if its a freebie can you! :stagecrew:

I'll suggest not doing it all - just keep an eye out on the job oppertunities to see if my position comes up!!!!

:stagecrew:

I'll price up PVC tape thanks for the idea, point taken about the dirt, plaster cement etc. on the scaff poles, it has been a nightmare when I have had to rig scaffolding from companies. But like you said, I can't complain at a freebie.

Got a production coming up, and most of the set is scaffolding. The director want's the scaff poles to be coloured, red, blue and yellow.

So far so good, until I contact the scaffolding company and they won't allow the scaffolding to be painted.

Now I have a problem, the material used obviously has to be fireproof, but non-slippy as cast members use the scaff frame to climb, move etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Lee

depending on the intensity of the colour required and how dishonest you are feeling you could use a thin emulsion/rosco wash. It comes off with a bit of elbow grease ( I believe Flint's supply large cans of same), a scubby pad and lots of water. If you are having to clean the scaff before hand it doesn't seen like too much extra effort. Of course it does depend on the size of the set......

:D

A small point of shocking pedantry, but was it the director's colour scheme the scaffolding company objected to?

When I've used scaff on loan from scaffolding companies before, they've been quite happy for us to paint scaff white (helps stop people walking into it when it's being used on pavements etc) but wouldn't allow black under any circumstances - solution: repaint it afterwards in their preferred colour.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Not being kinky but have you though about latex paint. It allows you to put on a good grip coating that will just peel off at the end of the production. I couldn't tell you the colours it comes in though.

Or

How about paint mixed with that glue you used to paint you hand with at school and the peel off. May work the same as the latex idea but don't take my word. It may be best to try it first.

We used a similar effect for Peter Pan recently where the scaffolding was made to look like trees etc. We got long lengths of coloured fabric, wrapped it round the scaff then sprayed it liberally with flame retardent spray. Didn't take too long and looked quite effective. Chose your fabric carefully to allow clambering.

Archived