DMX cable ??

chatterbox

Hi,

Just doing an install and found that the builders had already run a cable from the stage to the back of the room mixing point. They labelled the socket "lighting control" and terminated it on a DMX connector. The cable they used is the following:

Overall Screened, Multi Pair

Application: Internal and external inter-connections of electronic apparatus such as computers, intercoms, telemetering, signalling and alarm systems.

Conductor: Tinned annealed copper wire

Insulation: Polypropylene; thickness: 0.30mm

Screen: Aluminium tape screen, polyester mylar tape lapping and 7/0.20mm tinned copper drain wire

Sheath: PVC V75 (grey)

Voltage: These cables are run with a 240V radial thickness sheath and must not be connected to mains power supply.

Standards: AS1125 (conductor) AS/NZS 3808 (PVC)

Austel Approval: A95/CA/0217, EAS7201P to EAS7212, EAS7212P+1

Is this suitable for DMX ?????????????

I dont think so, but am curious as to others input.......

Yes - did consider it...but (we are in Australia) and therefore the chances are that the manufacturers will not know what I am talking about...

It will be another famous AUSTRALIAN GREY AREA.....(cynical - I know)

I will probably get more sense from this forum.....

Yes - did consider it...but (we are in Australia) and therefore the chances are that the manufacturers will not know what I am talking about...

It appears you need to do your research a little better - a quick Google for "Electra Cables" turned up the following link in the top 3 results...

http://www.electracables.com.au/

If you look closely on the front page, you'll even see some contact details... I would hope that they would know the specs of the cable they make (DMX cable is electrically the same as RS485 communications cable, if they don't understand what you are on about when you say DMX)

:)

maybe but then I do like to get feedback from this forum... some very interesting and intelligent answers....

well - just to keep you happy :D I phoned the manufacturers.... and guess what -

qld head office said what did I want to know - I told them - she said " I have absolutely no idea - you will have to call head office"

so I called head office and was told.." I dont know what you are talking about - you will have to talk to the person you bought it from" I said " we havent bought it - it has been installed by builders on a job we are doing" she said " well I cant help you - you will have to talk to someone else" end of conversation..

which just proves the point of my earlier post (we are in Australia) and therefore will get more sense from a Britsh forum -even if they are not familiar with the cable.....

Archived