DMX cable ??

chatterbox

I would say from that description that it would be DMX compatible.

We have just very recently had a long discussion about DMX cable over on the ALIA(Australian Lighting Industry Association) forums (i.e. the Australian version of the BR), and one of the cables that came up was this: Electra Cables, code EAS 7201P - 7/0.20(0.2mm)x1P O/A Shield Data Cable DC110V , which has a strikingly similar name to the cable you just mentioned.

Linky to the ALIA forum topic (Although you may have to sign up to view it(don't worry its free)) : http://www.alia.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1316&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The trouble is that firing everything up won't prove anything, because if you stick data down almost any old bit of cable, it will work. Without proper diagnostic tools, you won't see the problems, so have no idea at all how close to not working it really is. You can stick DMX down spare cores in old multis, or impossible to inspect permanent tie-lines - and in most cases, it works fine. It may not be the correct spec by a long way - but unless it just doesn't work, or you get the instability from when you power up, you won't really know. Who can tell if equipment a year down the line won't like it? If your spec stated DMX cable, and it proves unreliable, then you can get them to sort it at their expense, but if it does work, does it actually matter? If an install company skimped on your mains cabling, using under-rated copper and there was a problem, they'd have to sort it - and nobody actually loads up circuits to maximum load to test them - until it goes wrong in real use.

Thanks Paulears.... Thats very true.... It is actually the builders that have put this in....they werent supposed to - but then again they have done lots of things they werent supposed to do and the venue has obviously paid for it. Then we go in as the installers and do the correct job. The builders put speakers in on brackets just screwed through plasterboard....booker rod to fly the lighting bars ..the list goes on. It is just sad that the venue has paid, and then it has to be re-done. It is the bain of our lives going in and seeing what has been done by people that dont really know what they are doing. (I could write a book). Anyway back to this cable.... it does seem from the specs that this cable should work for DMX. It just means that we dont have to run another line and charge for it...

I phoned the manufacturers.... and guess what -

qld head office said what did I want to know - I told them - she said " I have absolutely no idea - you will have to call head office"

so I called head office and was told.." I dont know what you are talking about - you will have to talk to the person you bought it from" I said " we havent bought it - it has been installed by builders on a job we are doing" she said " well I cant help you - you will have to talk to someone else" end of conversation..

If you specifically asked to speak to someone in their technical dept, rather than just putting the question to whoever answered the phone, you might have got a bit further. :)

Archived