Hi pass - low pass .

goboloco

What do you cap your high end at ? I have my 4main speakers and subs running through an ev dc 1 so I have full control , all on their own channels .

So..... I Recently plugged I'n the lappy and did a freq. Test on the staff ( after hours ;) . It turns out none of us are hearing much above 17khz . I myself am at 16.5.

So my question is , why am I asking the the Amps and speakers to produce a full range signal , when most of my target demographic / customer base can't hear above 17 ish ?

I must say / I capped em just to see , and it was like the remaining sound had more " room" if you follow ...

Anyway just throwing this out , maybe some of you have ideas .

Gobo .

To be honest I have never found a real reason to add a shelf eq to the high frequencies of any system like this.

I have added high pass filters to systems to gain a little more head room when these has been subs or a system where there is no real need for the low energy but the power that you amps are using to drive the frequency range between 17khz and the 20 odd that is being asked of it is likely to be next to nothing. I would imagine that anything you can here difference wise is more than likely to be the filter you have added effecting frequencies that you can hear further down the range through the slope etc.

I think unless there is excessive VHF in a system I cant see this helping much.

Chris

Thanks chris . My system playes a lot of banging stuff on the weekends. It seems that it had quite a bit of VHF going through it at club volumes .

I would have said myself that my observations were placebo- however my Friday night dj was told nothing of My behind the scenes handy work , and after his set - he remarked that he didint have to adjust the highs on his mixer hardly at all that night .

Maybe one of my tweeters is on the way - that could well be a possibility . I use thomann t box pros and Martin black lines ,for what it's worth .

Just out of interest, is your venue acoustically treated?

Could it be that you have a lot of wood or curtains etc in your venue? I've found that in these types of venues I end up having to adjust the His on the EQ.

Would it be worth plonking an RTA in there to see what you're really hearing?

I'd suggest that your test and sample was not particularly scientific! But the figures are interesting. I was in a disco bar last NYE and the girl (24 ish ) behind the bar was having difficulty hearing during the day with no music. She actually said that she knew her hearing was failing, which at her age was not to be expected. -But she kept on working there! Once she realised that she was deaf she probably had major rolloff from 4K

It's the iPod/earbud generation.

At least 10 years ago, I did a very unscientific test on a bunch of my son's 18 year old friends (just generated tones in Cool Edit and let them listen at low/medium level via some good cans) and was shocked that all but one of them were rolling off rapidly above about 15k. I was shocked that, even in my late 40s, I had better HF hearing than them. The only difference I could find was that I didn't have a history of trying to drown out train/traffic noise with earbuds and personal stereos.

I rolloff at about 12k these days, that's age for you but on my pet subject high level before feedback I find that condenser headmics tend to be very "toppy", coupled with modern speakers with eficient horns I find I have to reduce the top considerably to get any sort of natural vocal sound and LBF.

Regards

Kevin

Archived